The World of Ice & Fire
|The World of Ice and Fire|
George R. R. Martin
Random House Publishing Group|
|Released||October 28th, 2014|
|Cover Artist||Ted Nasmith|
audiobook & e-book
The World of Ice and Fire is a companion volume to the A Song of Ice and Fire novels, provisionally known as a 'world book'. The full title is The World of Ice and Fire: The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones.
Garcia and Antonsson run Westeros, the largest A Song of Ice and Fire community and online concordance of information on the series on the internet. Martin has already confirmed that he sometimes uses the existing online concordance to rapidly double-check information if he is away from his notes. He has joked that his co-authors know more about the continent of Westeros than he does.
The World of Ice and Fire is divided in several parts:
- Ancient History, starting with the Dawn Age, and ending with the Doom of Valyria
- The Reign of the Dragons, telling about the war of Conquest
- The Targaryen Kings, about the reigns of all Targaryen Kings, beginning with King Aegon I Targaryen and ending with the reign of King Aerys II Targaryen
- The Fall of the Dragons, about the year of the false spring, Robert's Rebellion itself and its aftermath.
- The Glorious Reign
- The Seven Kingdoms, histories about the North, the Wall and Beyond, the Riverlands, the Vale, the Iron Islands, the Westerlands, the Reach, the Stormlands and Dorne.
- Beyond the Sunset Kingdoms, about the Free Cities, and the lands east from there.
- Appendix, consisting out of a family tree for House Targaryen, a family tree for House Stark, a family tree for House Lannister, and an overview for the reigns of the Kings.
A few sample chapters were released in the months prior to the release of the book:
- Sample Chapter: Aegon's Conquest
- Sample Chapter: The Ten Thousand Ships
- Sample Chapter: a selected part of the chapter detailing the history of the Vale, released in the official A World of Ice and Fire app. This sample is available in the free version of the app.
Further, Harper Voyager released a Fact of Ice and Fire in the days leading up to the release of the book, through their twitter account.
The english versions of The World of Ice and fire are available in two different versions: the red cover, displayed on the top of this page, and a black cover. The former version of the book is published by Bantam, the latter by Harper Voyager.
References and Notes
- The World of Ice and Fire: The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. Barnes & Noble. Retrieved April 16 2014.
- The World of Ice and Fire Harper Voyager
- The World of Ice & Fire.
- Artwork  & family trees 
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire.