art by sir-heartsalot
|Born||In or between 253 AC and 264 AC, at White Harbor|
|Died||In 299 AC, at the Twins|
A Game of Thrones (appears)|
A Clash of Kings (appears)
A Storm of Swords (appears)
A Feast for Crows (appendix)
A Dance with Dragons (mentioned)
|Played by||Oddie Braddell|
|TV series||Season 3|
Character and Appearance
- See also: Images of Wendel Manderly
Wendel is not quite as fat as his father, Wyman, and older brother, Wylis, but is still considered immense. He is loud and boisterous. Wendel wears a large mustache and is bald. He has a round moon face and values his honor highly. The unwed Wendel wields a bow.
A Game of Thrones
Ser Wendel accompanies his brother, Wylis, to the muster when Robb Stark calls his banners. They escort Catelyn Stark from White Harbor to Robb's encampment at Moat Cailin. He stays with Robb's force on the march south and is named as one of his personal guard during the battle in the Whispering Wood.
A Clash of Kings
Wendel accompanies Catelyn south to meet with Renly Baratheon and Stannis Baratheon at Bitterbridge and Storm's End. Catelyn notes that the protective Wendel only values his honor more than his food. He returns to Riverrun with Catelyn after the siege of Storm's End.
A Storm of Swords
After Robb breaks his marriage contract with House Frey, Wendel offers to take a Frey bride as part of an apology to the Freys. He commands Robb's baggage train during the journey from Riverrun to the Twins. Wendel is slain during the Red Wedding, however, taking a crossbow bolt to the mouth.
A Dance with Dragons
Wendel's bones are returned to his father by a trio of Freys—Rhaegar, Jared and Symond—who also come to ensure White Harbor bends the knee to King Tommen I Baratheon. Wendel's remains are interred in the Sept of the Snows. Jared tells the Merman's Court that Wendel saved Lord Walder Frey from the warg Robb Stark, at which Lord Davos Seaworth scoffs. In private, however, Lord Wyman Manderly confides in Davos that he seeks vengeance against the Freys for his son's death.
Quotes by Wendel
Wendel: There are birds in this grass. Would you fancy a roast quail to break your fast this morning?
Catelyn: Oats and bread are sufficient ... for all of us, I think. We have many leagues yet to ride, Ser Wendel.Wendel: As you will, my lady. Oats and bread, and what could be better? 
—Wendel and Catelyn Stark
—Wendel to Martyn Rivers
Wendel: A pretty sight.Perwyn: Our friends have begun without us.
Quotes about Wendel
A valiant boy, and jolly.
Wendel was always a brave boy. I was not surprised to learn he died a hero.
My son Wendel came to the Twins a guest. He ate Lord Walder's bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may the Freys choke upon their fables.
- See the Wendel Manderly calculation.
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Wendel Manderly.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 55, Catelyn VIII.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 16, Bran II.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 63, Catelyn X.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 33, Catelyn IV.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 31, Catelyn III.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 39, Catelyn V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 14, Catelyn II.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 45, Catelyn V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 51, Catelyn VII.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 15, Davos II.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 19, Davos III.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 29, Davos IV.