Archons were provisionally elected by their lords freeholder of Valyria. Often dragonriders, archons oversaw colonial cities and towns of the Valyrian Freehold, with the exceptions of the self-ruling Free Cities. The ruler of Tyrosh after the Doom of Valyria calls himself archon.
During the reign of King Aegon IV Targaryen, Aegon and the Archon of Tyrosh arranged the marriage of Daemon Blackfyre and Rohanne of Tyrosh. The marriage was carried out by Aegon's successor, King Daeron II Targaryen, and the archon, early in 184 AC.
A Game of Thrones
A Feast for Crows
Doran Martell, Prince of Dorne, reveals to his daughter, Princess Arianne, that at one point she was to have been sent to Tyrosh to serve as the Archon's cupbearer, so she could have met her betrothed, Viserys Targaryen, in secret.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 8, Daenerys I.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Ancient History: The Rise of Valyria.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Ancient History: Valyria's Children.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Free Cities.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen King: Daeron II.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 40, Princess In The Tower.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 3, Daenerys I.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 24, Cersei V.