Eddard Stark, also known as Ned, is the Lord of Winterfell and the secondborn son of the late Lord Rickard Stark. Having been married to Lady Catelyn Tully since 283 AC, Ned has five children by her: Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran, and Rickon. Ned also has a bastard son, Jon Snow, born during Robert's Rebellion.
Eddard was fostered in his youth at the Eyrie by Jon Arryn, whom he regarded as a second father, together with Robert Baratheon, whom Ned saw as a brother. When Eddard's sister Lyanna was supposedly kidnapped by Prince Rhaegar Targaryen, Ned's older brother Brandon went to King's Landing for justice, but was executed together with their father, Rickard, on the orders of the Mad King, Aerys II Targaryen. When Aerys next demanded the heads of Ned and Robert, Jon Arryn refused him and raised his banners in revolt. The war ended with Robert on the Iron Throne, though Ned arrived too late to save Lyanna, who died in his arms at the tower of joy.
Ever since Robert I's coronation, Ned Stark has served as the Warden of the North, keeping the king's peace. In 298 AC, however, Jon Arryn dies and Ned is asked by Robert to replace their former foster father as Hand of the King. Suspicious about Jon's sudden death, Ned accepts, moves to King's Landing, and starts to investigate.
Eddard is known for his unwavering sense of honor and justice. His family finds him kind and loving, although some consider his reserved personality a sign of coldness and disdain.
- "Kings and corpses always draw attendants" – Davos Seaworth 
- "The Iron Throne is mine by rights. All those who deny that are my foes." – Stannis Baratheon
"The whole of the realm denies it, brother. Old men deny it with their death rattle, and unborn children deny it in their mothers' wombs. They deny it in Dorne and they deny it on the Wall. No one wants you for their king. Sorry." – Renly Baratheon 
- "I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." – Jaime Lannister 
Did you know...
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 9, Davos I.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 31, Catelyn III.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 55, Catelyn VII.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 21, Tyrion III.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 5, Samwell I.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Reach: Highgarden.
About the Wiki
Ten sister Wikis in Other Languages
Links to articles that are available in other languages are on left side on the page.
All pages can be edited and you are welcome to join us and contribute to this wiki.