House Stark is one of the Great Houses of Westeros. Descendent from the First Men, House Stark was founded by Brandon the Builder during the Age of Heroes. They ruled as Kings of Winter from their castle, Winterfell, for eight thousand years. Their sigil is a grey direwolf on a white background and their words are "Winter is coming".
The Kings of Winter defeated rival kings in the North, including the Red Kings of the Dreadfort, during their long reign. During the Andal invasion, King Theon Stark defeated the Andal Argos Sevenstar, after which he sailed to Andalos to extract revenge. The Kings of Winter have found themselves in many conflicts with the ironborn, as well as in a war against House Arryn of the Vale over the Three Sisters, which lasted a thousand years. When King Brandon "the Shipwright" Stark attempted to sail across the Sunset Sea, he was lost at sea. His son, Brandon "the Burner", burned the northern fleet in his grief, leaving the north without a fleet for centuries to come.
During Aegon's Conquest, King Torrhen Stark kneeled to Aegon the Conquerer. For his submission, House Stark was allowed to rule the North as Lords of Winterfell and Wardens of the North. Towards the end of the third century after Aegon's Conquest, Lord Rickard Stark betrothed his heir Brandon to Catelyn Tully of Riverrun, and his daughter Lyanna to Lord Robert Baratheon of Storm's End. But when Lyanna disappeared with Prince Rhaegar Targaryen's involvement, Rickard and Brandon were executed by King Aerys II Targaryen after Brandon threatened the life of the crown prince in anger. During Robert's Rebellion, which began shortly after, Lord Eddard Stark served as one of the leaders of the rebellion. Years later he aided his friend, King Robert, fight Balon Greyjoy during Greyjoy's Rebellion. It was one of the few instances in which Eddard left the North; During the past fifteen years, he has mostly stayed close to home, keeping a distance from the intrigue-ridden politics of King's Landing. Read more...
- "When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives." – Eddard Stark 
- "There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man." – Varys 
- "Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all. I have seen their peoples garland them with flowers, and shed the blood of goats and bulls and children in their names. And I have heard the prayers, in half a hundred tongues. Cure my withered leg, make the maiden love me, grant me a healthy son. Save me, succor me, make me wealthy... protect me! Protect me from mine enemies, protect me from the darkness, protect me from the crabs inside my belly, from the horselords, from the slavers, from the sellswords at my door. Protect me from the Silence." He laughed. "Godless? Why, Aeron, I am the godliest man ever to raise sail! You serve one god, Damphair, but I have served ten thousand. From Ib to Asshai, when men see my sails, they pray." – Euron "Crow's Eye" Greyjoy 
Did you know...
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 22, Arya II.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 58, Eddard XV, 556.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 18, The Iron Captain.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Free Cities: Braavos.
- ↑ twitter: November 12, 2016
- ↑ So Spake Martin: Tuscon 43 Q&A (November 12, 2016)
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 28, Cersei VI.
About the Wiki
Ten sister Wikis in Other Languages
Links to articles that are available in other languages are on left side on the page.
All pages can be edited and you are welcome to join us and contribute to this wiki.