The War of the Five Kings was a large conflict fought in the Seven Kingdoms, which lasted from 298 AC until 300 AC. The war was named after the five men who claimed the title of King: Joffrey Baratheon, Stannis Baratheon, Renly Baratheon, Robb Stark and Balon Greyjoy. Whilst the three Baratheons fought over the Iron Throne and the title King of the Seven Kingdoms, Robb Stark fought for the independence of the North, claiming the title of King in the North, and Balon Greyjoy fought for independence of the Iron Islands, claiming for himself the title of King of the Iron Islands.
The War of the Five Kings was fought mainly in the North, the Riverlands, the Westerlands, the Stormlands and the Crownlands, with all but one of the Great Houses taking part. The war broke out after the death of King Robert Baratheon, as his heir Joffrey was an illegitimate son. This lead to both of Robert's brothers claiming the throne. The death of Eddard Stark, at the hands of Joffrey, brought the North into the war. Lord Balon Greyjoy eventually decided to take advantage of the war and named himself a king, to try and succeed where he had failed ten years before.
According to Archmaester Benedict, the name of the conflict is incorrect because Renly Baratheon was slain before Balon Greyjoy crowned himself, so there were never technically five kings at once. Read more...
- "Winter is Coming." – The words of House Stark
- “Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night’s Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.” – Oath of the Night’s Watch 
- “I don’t know who my mother was.” – Jon Snow
“Some woman, no doubt. Most of them are.” – Tyrion Lannister 
Did you know...
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 22, Arya.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 48, Jon.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 68, Jon.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 5, Jon, 40.
- ↑ Westeros Important events from the past
- ↑ So Speak Martin:Ibben and Armor, November 09, 2002
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 28, Cersei.
About the Wiki
Ten sister Wikis in Other Languages
Links to articles that are available in other languages are on left side on the page.
All pages can be edited and you are welcome to join us and contribute to this wiki.