The Battle of the Blackwater is a large battle fought between the forces loyal to King Joffrey I Baratheon, the King on the Iron Throne, and those loyal to Stannis Baratheon during the War of the Five Kings. Having eliminated his younger brother Renly and gained some fifteen thousand soldiers from the stormlands and Reach, Stannis begins his march on King's Landing, intent on seizing the city and claiming the throne. Queen Regent Cersei Lannister has ordered wildfire in preparation for the city's defense, while her brother Tyrion has ordered the construction of a great chain boom across the mouth of the Blackwater Rush. Ser Imry Florent, leading Stannis' fleet, has the fleet sail towards the docks immediately, leaving only the ships of the Lysene Salladhor Saan out in the bay. As soon as the first two battle lines of ships have crossed, the defenders of King's Landing begin to raise the chain. King Joffrey's ships engage Stannis' ship, but soon light the river afire on account of having been filled with wildfire, destroying most ships present. By then, the chain has been raised completely, preventing the ships from fleeing.
A few ships escape the inferno and land men on the riverfront, who attack the King's Gate and River Gate. When Sandor Clegane, fearing the wildfire, refuses to lead another sortie, Tyrion Lannister takes the command. During the battle on the riverfront, he realizes that by now, the ships in the water, smashed together and burning, have formed a bridge over the river, allowing Stannis’ vanguard of twenty thousand men to cross the river. The cities gates are closed, and Queen Regent Cersei, fearing for the safety of her son, orders King Joffrey to be brought to the Red Keep, with disastrous results. Seeing their king flee the scene, the defenders are robbed of their courage, and kill their officers while attempting to flee. After a night of battle, victory seems within Stannis’ grasp. Read more…
- "When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives." – Eddard Stark 
- "There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man." – Varys 
- "Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all. I have seen their peoples garland them with flowers, and shed the blood of goats and bulls and children in their names. And I have heard the prayers, in half a hundred tongues. Cure my withered leg, make the maiden love me, grant me a healthy son. Save me, succor me, make me wealthy... protect me! Protect me from mine enemies, protect me from the darkness, protect me from the crabs inside my belly, from the horselords, from the slavers, from the sellswords at my door. Protect me from the Silence." He laughed. "Godless? Why, Aeron, I am the godliest man ever to raise sail! You serve one god, Damphair, but I have served ten thousand. From Ib to Asshai, when men see my sails, they pray." – Euron "Crow's Eye" Greyjoy 
Did you know...
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 22, Arya II.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 58, Eddard XV, 556.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 18, The Iron Captain.
- ↑ So Spake Martin: The Baratheon Brothers (September 11, 1999)
- ↑ So Spake Martin: Union Square Signing (July 14, 2011)
- ↑ So Spake Martin: To Be Continued (Chicago, IL; May 6-8) (May 06, 2005)
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon V.
About the Wiki
Ten sister Wikis in Other Languages
Links to articles that are available in other languages are on left side on the page.
All pages can be edited and you are welcome to join us and contribute to this wiki.