Serwyn of the Mirror Shield
|Alias||Serwyn of the Mirror Shield|
|Title||Ser (in songs and tales)|
|Allegiance||Kingsguard (in songs and tales)|
|Book(s)|| The Hedge Knight (mentioned)|
A Game of Thrones (mentioned)
A Dance with Dragons (mentioned)
The World of Ice and Fire (mentioned)
Serwyn of the Mirror Shield is a legendary figure from the Age of Heroes, although singers now claim he was a knight of the Kingsguard. He is a favorite of the smallfolk. Serwyn served the ancient Kings of the Reach from House Gardener.
According to songs, Serwyn once saved Princess Daeryssa from giants. He slew the dragon Urrax by approaching the beast behind his shield so the dragon only saw its own reflection, then spearing Urrax through the eye. Serwyn was haunted by ghosts of all the knights he killed.
Despite the legends that have him as a member of the Kingsguard, an institution created in 10 AC during the reign of Aegon I Targaryen, Serwyn lived in the time of the First Men, thousands of years before there was a Kingsguard or even knights in Westeros.
References and Notes
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, Ancient History: The Age of Heroes.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 8, Bran II.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 3, Tyrion I.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, Ancient History: The Gardener Kings.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 15, Sansa I.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 8, Tyrion III.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 43, Daenerys VII.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon I.
- ↑ asoiaf.yuko.com, The Kingsguard, Ran's comment