A polytheistic religion was practiced by the Valyrians. Its pantheon of deities included Balerion, Vhagar, Meraxes, and Syrax.
Although the dragonlords themselves worshiped these gods, they were highly tolerant of other faiths and thus the Valyrian Freehold was very religiously diverse. After the Doom of Valyria, this religion continued because many of they Old Blood that dweld within the Black Wall of Volantis kept to the worship of the Valyrian gods. They where also honored through the Targaryens naming some of there dragons after the gods, despite the Targaryens themselves converting to the Faith of the Seven. It is unknown at this time but possible that other Targaryen dragons with Valyrian names—such as Arrax, Caraxes, Meleys, Morghul, Shrykos, Tessarion, Terrax, Tyraxes, Vermax, and Vermithor—are named after Valyrian deities as well.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 13, Tyrion II.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 12, Daenerys I.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 57, Daenerys V.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Fire & Blood, Heirs of the Dragon - A Question of Succession.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Free Cities: Volantis.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Viserys I.