Talk: House Stark
Current Lord of Winterfell
As current Lord of Winterfell, Rickon Stark is now listed. Shouldn't this be Bran Stark? He's the eldest of the two, and officially the next in line, and above all, known to be alive by some in Westeros.--Rhaenys_Targaryen 17:50, 14 May 2014 (UTC)
- Currently there is no accepted head of House Stark nor an accepted lord of Winterfell (thought Ramsay Bolton/Snow claims the latter title. Therefore I think we should leave the current lord blank.
- Fine by me!--Rhaenys_Targaryen 17:18, 13 August 2014 (UTC)
- Ran has requested that no published material is used on the wiki, because it was specifically stated that the family tree sample was not a finished one. So no, with that tree, and others, we should wait another few months--Rhaenys_Targaryen 08:35, 19 June 2014 (UTC)
This sigil shows the direwolf rampant (reared) instead of courant (running). The direwolf is clearly described as running by GRRM. Can this be redone? -- Zain Burney, 22 December 2013
The Starks' banners depict "a grey direwolf racing across an ice-white field" (A Game of Thrones-Chapter 1). The direwolf at File:House Stark.PNG is standing, however. Nittanian 16:43, 10 September 2014 (UTC)
- True. There are other images but they have their own short comings:
- File:House_Stark77.png is standing, not running.
- File:StarkCoA.png is moving though the lines are very unclear
- And the first image looks more like a dog (but hey it was my first attemp).
- All in all I think the current one trumps the (current) others.Scafloc 18:36, 10 September 2014 (UTC)
- Yeah, each has pros and cons. I think File:StarkCoA.png should be used, since it is the closest to the canon running wolf sigil. Nittanian 15:56, 19 September 2014 (UTC)
- My vote is also for File:StarkCoA.png, although honestly the one in TWOIAF is the best I've seen that matches the description. It's a pity that one's not in the wiki coat of arms style (too 3-D), but perhaps someone could make a simplified PNG based on it? --Mindset (talk) 20:54, 28 March 2016 (UTC)
House Stark at the end of the third century
Based on the examples of House Arryn, House Martell, and House Lannister, among others that include family members that died before the start of AGOT, I believe there's precedent for keeping Brandon and Lyanna in this section, possibly Rickard as well. But in keeping with the the "last dragons" section of House Targaryen, I've added a sub-section for the descendants of Rickard in the Historical Members section. Either way, by no means should Brandon and Lyanna be removed from the entire list of House Stark family members. (See also this discussion in the forum.) --Mindset (talk) 20:47, 28 March 2016 (UTC)
- Brandon and Lyanna need to be mentioned on the list, no matter where they end up being listed. Removing them completely, is incorrect. That said, I'd vote for keeping Lyanna and Brandon in the top section, along with Benjen, Eddard, and Eddard's children. There's no reason to mention only half a generation - in fact, that would create more confusion. Secondly, the appendices list Brandon and Lyanna alongside their other sibilings. Thirdly, Robert's Rebellion is not a cut-off point. We list complete generations everywhere else, as far as is possible, no matter when they died. For House Stark, that should be no different. Rickard is a separate issue, and a case could be made for placing him in the "historical Starks" section. Eddard rules Winterfell when the story begins, after all, not Rickard, nor do the appendices list Rickard in the House Stark list. Though, as I said on the linked forum discussion, a case can also be made for Rickard being on that list, but it would be a less strong case than Brandon and Lyanna, who in my opinion do deserve a place on that list.--Rhaenys Targaryen (talk) 22:06, 28 March 2016 (UTC)