Eddard Stark, also known as Ned, is the Lord of Winterfell and the secondborn son of the late Lord Rickard Stark. Having been married to Lady Catelyn Tully since 283 AC, Ned has five children by her: Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran, and Rickon. Ned also has a bastard son, Jon Snow, born during Robert's Rebellion.
Eddard was fostered in his youth at the Eyrie by Jon Arryn, whom he regarded as a second father, together with Robert Baratheon, whom Ned saw as a brother. When Eddard's sister Lyanna was supposedly kidnapped by Prince Rhaegar Targaryen, Ned's older brother Brandon went to King's Landing for justice, but was executed together with their father, Rickard, on the orders of the Mad King, Aerys II Targaryen. When Aerys next demanded the heads of Ned and Robert, Jon Arryn refused him and raised his banners in revolt. The war ended with Robert on the Iron Throne, though Ned arrived too late to save Lyanna, who died in his arms at the tower of joy.
Ever since Robert I's coronation, Ned Stark has served as the Warden of the North, keeping the king's peace. In 298 AC, however, Jon Arryn dies and Ned is asked by Robert to replace their former foster father as Hand of the King. Suspicious about Jon's sudden death, Ned accepts, moves to King's Landing, and starts to investigate.
Eddard is known for his unwavering sense of honor and justice. His family finds him kind and loving, although some consider his reserved personality a sign of coldness and disdain.
- In his chainmail shirt with a sword in his hand, Gendry looked almost a man grown, and dangerous. Hot Pie looked like Hot Pie. 
- "My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer, and I have my mind... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." – Tyrion Lannister 
- "When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives." – Eddard Stark 
Did you know...
- Bronze Yohn Royce, Lord of Runestone, wears bronze armor, reputedly thousands of years old and worked with runes that are supposed to ward him from harm?
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 13, Arya II.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 24, Bran IV.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 22, Arya II.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 29, Sansa II.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon I.
- ↑ So Spake Martin: Dromen & Demonen Chat (April 23, 2002)
About the Wiki
Eleven sister Wikis in Other Languages
Links to articles that are available in other languages are on left side on the page.
All pages can be edited and you are welcome to join us and contribute to this wiki.