The Battle of the Blackwater is a large battle fought between the forces loyal to King Joffrey I Baratheon, the King on the Iron Throne, and those loyal to Stannis Baratheon during the War of the Five Kings. Having eliminated his younger brother Renly and gained some fifteen thousand soldiers from the stormlands and Reach, Stannis begins his march on King's Landing, intent on seizing the city and claiming the throne. Queen Regent Cersei Lannister has ordered wildfire in preparation for the city's defense, while her brother Tyrion has ordered the construction of a great chain boom across the mouth of the Blackwater Rush. Ser Imry Florent, leading Stannis' fleet, has the fleet sail towards the docks immediately, leaving only the ships of the Lysene Salladhor Saan out in the bay. As soon as the first two battle lines of ships have crossed, the defenders of King's Landing begin to raise the chain. King Joffrey's ships engage Stannis' ship, but soon light the river afire on account of having been filled with wildfire, destroying most ships present. By then, the chain has been raised completely, preventing the ships from fleeing.
A few ships escape the inferno and land men on the riverfront, who attack the King's Gate and River Gate. When Sandor Clegane, fearing the wildfire, refuses to lead another sortie, Tyrion Lannister takes the command. During the battle on the riverfront, he realizes that by now, the ships in the water, smashed together and burning, have formed a bridge over the river, allowing Stannis’ vanguard of twenty thousand men to cross the river. The cities gates are closed, and Queen Regent Cersei, fearing for the safety of her son, orders King Joffrey to be brought to the Red Keep, with disastrous results. Seeing their king flee the scene, the defenders are robbed of their courage, and kill their officers while attempting to flee. After a night of battle, victory seems within Stannis’ grasp. Read more…
- "There are no true knights, no more than there are gods. If you can't protect yourself, die and get out of the way of those who can. Sharp steel and strong arms rule this world, don't ever believe any different." – Sandor Clegane 
- "There is a tool for every task, and a task for every tool." – Tywin Lannister 
- Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died. 
– Jorah Mormont
Did you know...
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 52, Sansa IV.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 32, Tyrion IV.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 23, Daenerys II.
- ↑ The Citadel: What happened to the five-year gap that was supposed to follow ASoS?
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The North: The Kings of Winter.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 21, The Queenmaker.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 40, Princess In The Tower.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
About the Wiki
Ten sister Wikis in Other Languages
Links to articles that are available in other languages are on left side on the page.
All pages can be edited and you are welcome to join us and contribute to this wiki.