A moratorium is in effect on adding information from Fire and Blood until December 20th.
After the Doom of Valyria, during the Century of Blood, the Volantenes considered themselves the heirs to the Valyrian Freehold and rightful rulers of the world. Thus the militaristic tigers, supported by the Old Blood, held sway for almost a century, and led Volantis into conflict with the other Free Cities. This conflict would eventually involve all of the Free Cities except for (as far as is known) Lorath. At first, Volantis succeeded in their conquest. But an alliance of Tyrosh and Pentos resisted Volantis, and Myr and Lys rebelled. Volantis was further defeated by an alliance of Qohor and Norvos, by Dothraki, by Storm King Argilac Durrandon, and by Lord Aegon Targaryen of Dragonstone. In the end, the elephants - the faction favoring peace - took power from the tigers, and the fighting was at an end. Their followers went on a rampage, knocking the heads from the statues of those they blamed for all the wars and deaths.
A Dance of Dragons
- Belicho, a tiger; a book has been written about Belicho, called The Life of the Triarch Belicho
- Horonno, a tiger, returned every year for forty years, put to death when he declared himself triarch for life
Tigers love to bare their claws, and even elephants will kill if threatened.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 14, Tyrion IV.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Ancient History: The Doom of Valyria.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 22, Tyrion VI.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 8, Tyrion III.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 63, Victarion I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 33, Tyrion VIII.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Free Cities: Volantis.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 27, Tyrion VII.