The Black Ears are one of the Vale mountain clans of the Mountains of the Moon. They take their name from their custom of taking the ears of men they defeat in battle as trophies, but leave them alive as a sign of shame. The Black Ears have close ties with the Moon Brothers and are currently led by Chella, daughter of Cheyk. They refuse to share meat and food with the Stone Crows.
A Game of Thrones
The Black Ears are among the clans that follow Tyrion Lannister out of the Mountains of the Moon and accept the offer to fight for House Lannister. They fight in the western vanguard during the battle on the Green Fork.
A Clash of Kings
The Black Ears accompany Tyrion to King's Landing, where he is to serve as Hand of the King. He puts them in the Broken Anvil to guard Shae. Three of them drink wine at the inn's common room with Chella, Shae, and Varys. Tyrion also has Bronn secure them a place in the barracks beneath the Tower of the Hand with the rest of the clans.
Tyrion is escorted by mounted Black Ears during his first visit to Chataya's brothel. After Tyrion stops King Joffrey I Baratheon from abusing and humiliating Sansa Stark in front of the court, he offers her the Black Ears as guards but is refused.
In preparation for Stannis Baratheon's arrival to the gates of King's Landing, Tyrion sends the Black Ears and the Moon Brothers into the kingswood to harass and harry Stannis's army on its march to the capital.
A Storm of Swords
References and Notes
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Vale.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 3, Tyrion I.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 56, Tyrion VII.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 62, Tyrion VIII.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 15, Tyrion III.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 32, Sansa III.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 49, Tyrion XI.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 4, Tyrion I.