The kingswood is a large forest that lies across the Blackwater Rush from King's Landing. It is in the southern crownlands and the northern stormlands and is traversed by the kingsroad. Originating from a narrow lake in the forest, the Wendwater is the largest river in the kingswood. Felwood is located in the southern outskirts of the forest.
The forest as far as the Blackwater Rush was once within the domain of the Storm Kings of House Durrandon. In the aftermath of the War of Conquest, however, the lands of House Baratheon of Storm's End were bounded in the north by the south bank of the Wendwater and the southern kingswood. The northern portion of the kingswood became part of the crownlands of House Targaryen of King's Landing.
A Game of Thrones
King Robert I Baratheon is hunting in the kingswood when he is mortally wounded by a boar.
A Clash of Kings
Tyrion Lannister sends expert woodsmen and the mountain clansmen who had accompanied him to King's Landing to the kingswood in preparation for Stannis Baratheon's imminent arrival. There they prey on Stannis's baggage train and harry his flanks. Leading Stannis's vanguard, Ser Guyard Morrigen burns part of the kingswood to smoke out the clansmen; Sansa Stark can see the fire and smoke from the Red Keep.
A Storm of Swords
After the Battle of the Blackwater, the Stone Crows remain in the kingswood. Sansa Stark and Margaery Tyrell cross the Blackwater Rush and find its northern edge to be a wilderness of ash and charcoal and dead trees.
References and Notes
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Lands of Ice and Fire.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 A World of Ice and Fire, Kingswood.
- ↑ So Spake Martin: The Stormlands, August 05, 2000
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Coming of the First Men.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Stormlands.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, Aegon IV.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones RPG and Resource Book, Guardians of Order
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 52, Sansa IV.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 49, Tyrion XI.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 52, Arya XI.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 4, Tyrion I.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 16, Sansa II.