Bay of Crabs
The Bay of Crabs is a large bay that opens off the narrow sea. Its northern shore includes Gulltown and Wickenden in the Vale of Arryn. The mouth of the Trident at Saltpans and the Quiet Isle opens into the bay. Its southern shore includes Maidenpool in the riverlands and Crackclaw Point in the crownlands.
The waters of the bay shimmer blue and green or blue and silver in sunlight. A crooked trail on the southern shore between Saltpans and Maidenpool has sandy dunes, salt marshes, tidal pools, and reeds. A ferry allows travel between the Quiet Isle and Saltpans. Some smallfolk in the region live in homes built onrickety wooden stilts above the dunes, and they fish using leather coracles.
Towns and villages grow less frequent as one travels east from Maidenpool toward the forests of Crackclaw Point. Slow-moving streams flow into the Bay of Crabs, and wildlife include terns, sandpipers, frogs, and foxes.
During the coming of the Andals to the Vale, Gerold Grafton put down a rebellion of the First Men of Gulltown, with the dead thrown into the bay to feed crabs. Gulltown developed into a city under the rule of House Grafton.
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
Brienne of Tarth spots fishermen in the bay at Maidenpool. Dick Crabb escorts her from Maidenpool to the Whispers. Septon Meribald later guides Brienne and her party from Maidenpool to the Quiet Isle.
There were no trees for leagues around, just sea and sky and sand. No land could have been more different from Tarth, with its mountains and waterfalls, its high meadows and shadowed vales, yet this place had its own beauty, Brienne thought.—thoughts of Brienne Tarth
- The Lands of Ice and Fire, Westeros.
- A Dance with Dragons, Map of the South
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 74, Arya XIII.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 31, Brienne VI.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 25, Brienne V.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 20, Brienne IV.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Vale.
- Fire & Blood, Aegon's Conquest.
- Fire & Blood, Aeong's Conquest.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Triumphant.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 14, Brienne III.