Maidenpool is a town in the riverlands situated along the southern shore of the Bay of Crabs. It is the seat of House Mooton. The castle at Maidenpool sits on a hill, and the town is walled. East of Maidenpool are hills.
Maidenpool has a busy harbor and pink stone walls. Fisherfolk northwest of Maidenpool fish the waters in leather coracles, while others collect clams. The town has a tavern called the Stinking Goose and numerous inns, including one near the Fool's Gate. It also has a tower called Jonquil's Tower.
During the Dance of the Dragons, one hundred knights from Maidenpool under the command of Lord Walys Mooton participated in the blacks' retaking of Rook's Rest from the greens. Walys was killed by Sunfyre afterward. Maidenpool was used as a base by the dragonriders Prince Daemon Targaryen and Nettles. Lord Manfryd Mooton, Walys's brother, did not want to obey Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen's order to kill Nettles. Maester Norren, who was keeper of the Chronicles of Maidenpool, informed the dragonriders of the command. After Daemon and Nettles left Maidenpool, Manfryd changed his allegiance from Rhaenyra to King Aegon II Targaryen.
The town hosted the tourney for King Viserys I's accession ca. 104 AC and the tourney at Maidenpool in 207 AC. Ser Barristan Selmy was the victor in the mêlée at Maidenpool during the reign of King Aerys II Targaryen.
A Storm of Swords
Maidenpool is sacked during the War of the Five Kings. When Ser Jaime Lannister, Ser Cleos Frey and Brienne of Tarth pass through on their way south, the town walls are deserted, the gates are smashed, and half the homes and shops are burned or plundered. After the Battle of Duskendale, Lord Randyll Tarly marches on Maidenpool, takes the town and locks Lord William Mooton in a tower cell.
A Feast for Crows
Brienne of Tarth visits Maidenpool during her search for Sansa Stark. She learns that Lord Tarly began rebuilding Maidenpool while hunting down the outlaws that haunted the areas around the town. Later, Brienne and her companions return to Maidenpool; she and Podrick Payne seek shelter for a night in the Lady of Myr, a galley in Maidenpool's harbor. Septon Meribald's circuit around the Riverlands from Maidenpool back to Maidenpool usually takes half a year.
A Dance with Dragons
Chapters that take place at Maidenpool
- A Storm of Swords: 21. Jaime III
- A Feast for Crows: 14. Brienne III
- A Feast for Crows: 25. Brienne V
References and Notes
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Map of the South
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 21, Jaime III.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 20, Brienne IV.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 14, Brienne III.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 25, Brienne V.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 The Princess and the Queen.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Riverlands.
- ↑ Chicon 7 Reading (September 02, 2012) So Spake Martin
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 67, Jaime VIII.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 74, Arya XIII.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Appendix.