The great castle of Harrenhal and its town, Harrentown, sit astride the Gods Eye's northern shore, while an unnamed town is along the southern shore. At its center is a lone island, the Isle of Faces, which was where the Pact between the children of the forest and the First Men was created. The warm water of the Gods Eye is blue and green. Among its feeder streams is the Rippledown Rill.
Black swans live in the vicinity, and there is a lake road near Harrenhal. The landscape near the great castle is a patchwork of rolling hills, meandering streams, sunlit fields, and holdfasts, while further south it is forested.
Harren Hoare, King of the Isles and the Rivers, constructed Harrenhal on the northern shore of the Gods Eye. During the War of Conquest, the Battle of the Reeds and the Wailing Willows were fought along the southern shore of the lake. Two sons of Harren the Black were slain by Balerion on the lake while returning to Harrenhal.
During the Dance of the Dragons, the Battle by the Lakeshore was fought along the western shore of the Gods Eye, while the Butcher's Ball occurred south of the lake. Princes Aemond and Daemon Targaryen and their dragons, Vhagar and Caraxes, fought to their mutual deaths in the Battle Above the Gods Eye.
A Clash of Kings
Wolf packs are reportedly bolder than ever near the Gods Eye.
Yoren brings his recruits for the Night's Watch, including a disguised Arya Stark, to an abandoned town on the southern shore of the Gods Eye. They are set upon by westermen led by Ser Amory Lorch, however, and only a few survive.
Trying to avoid men-at-arms, Arya observes that all settlements they pass, whether villages or castles, have been burned by the Lannisters. She and Gendry are eventually captured by the Mountain's men at a village by the Gods Eye and taken to Harrenhal.
A Storm of Swords
|“||The riverlands are awash in blood and flame all around the Gods Eye.||”|
|“||The setting sun made the tranquil surface of the water shimmer like a sheet of beaten copper. It was the biggest lake she had ever seen, with no hint of a far shore.||”|
|“||Gods Eye was a sheet of sun-hammered blue that filled half the world.||”|
References and Notes
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 14, Arya IV.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 3, Arya I.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 19, Arya V.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 44, Jaime VI.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 26, Arya VI.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones RPG and Resource Book, Guardians of Order
- ↑ The Lands of Ice and Fire.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 66, Bran VII.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Riverlands.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Conquest.
- ↑ The Princess and the Queen.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Year of the False Spring.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 5, Arya II.
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 22, Arya IV.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 39, Arya VII.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 24, Bran II.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 7, Catelyn I.