The Green Fork is one of the three main rivers of the Trident in the riverlands, the other two being the Blue Fork and the Red Fork. The river is named after its murky green color, which comes from moss near its swampy source.
The headwaters of the Green Fork are located in the southern marshes of the Neck, with Greywater Watch on an eastern headwater. The two largest tributaries come together just north of the Twins. The river flows to the southeast, with the kingsroad roughly parallel for much of its course. Nearby are fertile valleys, green woodlands, thriving towns, and stout holdfasts and castles.
Further south the Green Fork is joined by a tributary which originates in the Mountains of the Moon and is crossed by the kingsroad. South of this junction the Green Fork is joined by first the Blue Fork and then the Red Fork, forming the Trident. The great River Trident flows south and then east past Lord Harroway's Town, the kingsroad, and the ruby ford to the Bay of Crabs. According to Robb Stark, there is no crossing of the Green Fork north of the ruby ford until the Twins, although there is a ferry over the Trident at Harroway.
A Game of Thrones
Robb Stark marches the northern army to the Twins, where an alliance between Houses Stark and Frey is concluded. Robb crosses the Green Fork with the northern horse and heads toward Riverrun, while Lord Roose Bolton marches south with the northern foot along the eastern bank of the river.
Tyrion Lannister notices blackened fields and burned holdfasts near the Green Fork. He meets the camp follower Shae amongst the host of his father, Lord Tywin Lannister. Tywin defeats Roose in the battle on the Green Fork.
A Storm of Swords
The river is swollen when Robb, the King of the Trident, and his army return to the Twins for the wedding of Lord Edmure Tully to Roslin Frey. Robb and his forces are then betrayed in the Red Wedding; the wounded Ser Raynald Westerling is last seen throwing himself into the river. Afterward, Catelyn Tully's naked corpse is dumped into the river by the Freys in mockery of House Tully's funeral custom.
A Feast for Crows
They heard the Green Fork before they saw it, an endless susurrus, like the growl of some great beast.—thoughts of Catelyn Stark
—thoughts of Arya Stark
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 49, Catelyn VI.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Riverlands.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 28, Catelyn V.
- The Lands of Ice and Fire.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 55, Catelyn VIII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 47, Arya IX.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 59, Catelyn IX.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Conquest.
- The Princess and the Queen.
- The Mystery Knight.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 56, Tyrion VII.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 62, Tyrion VIII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 24, Bran II.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 44, Jaime VII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 58, Tyrion VII.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 42, Brienne VIII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 50, Arya X.