Greywater Watch - by Bertolt Hyronimus ©
|Government||House Reed , Feudal lord.|
Greywater Watch, also known as Greywater, is the seat of House Reed in the north. It is roughly located in an eastern headwater of the Green Fork in the swamps of the Neck, southwest of Moat Cailin. It is a castle built upon a crannog, one of the man-made floating islands of the swamps, and it does not stay in the same place, making it impossible for ravens or enemies to find. According to Meera Reed, there is no maester there, nor any knights or masters-at-arms.
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
At Greywater, Jojen Reed dreams of black waves of salt water overcoming Winterfell. The youth also has a green dream of a winged wolf, so Howland sends his children to Winterfell to aid Bran Stark. Jojen and his older sister, Meera Reed, attend the harvest feast at Winterfell and pledge the faith of Greywater.
Meera: Ravens can't find Greywater Watch, no more than our enemies can.
Bran: Why not?Meera: Because it moves.
Andals and ironmen, Freys and other fools, all those proud warriors who set out to conquer Greywater. Not one of them could find it. They ride into the Neck, but not back out. And sooner or later they blunder into the bogs and sink beneath the weight of all that steel and drown there in their armor.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 55, Catelyn VIII.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 21, Bran III.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 28, Bran IV.
- The Lands of Ice and Fire, Westeros.
- A Dance with Dragons, Map of the North
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 50, Theon IV.
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Greywater Watch.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 24, Bran II.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 35, Bran V.