From A Wiki of Ice and Fire
The Rills is an area in the North ruled by House Ryswell. It is located southeast of the Stony Shore, north of Blazewater Bay, and west of the barrowlands. Its name suggests the area has numerous streams and brooks.
House Ryder ruled the Rills as First Men kings after the Long Night, but they eventually submitted to the Kings of Winter and became vassals of House Stark of Winterfell. It is unknown what led the Rills to eventually be ruled by House Ryswell instead of House Ryder, but King Theon Stark put down a rebellion in the Rills during his reign.
In the story of the seventy-nine sentinels, deserters of the Night's Watch sought refuge in the castle of Lord Ryswell, but he returned them to the Wall.
Brandon Stark enjoyed riding in the Rills, where he met Barbrey Ryswell.
A Storm of Swords
Lord Roose Bolton includes spearmen from the Rills as part of the force he leaves behind to defend the ruby ford from the Mountain's men.
A Dance with Dragons
The Ryswells lead men from the Rills in attacking the ironborn on the Fever River and besieging the ironborn-held Moat Cailin.
References and Notes
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Map of the North
- ↑ The Lands of Ice and Fire.
- ↑ The A Game of Thrones RPG and Resource Book by Guardians of Order states the barrowlands stretch from the Stony Shore to the Bite, which therefore suggests the landscape includes the Rills. The more recent The Lands of Ice and Fire and the Map of the North in A Dance with Dragons depict them as separate regions.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Kings of Winter.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 56, Bran.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 41, The Turncloak (Reek V).
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 49, Catelyn.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 15, Davos.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 20, Reek.