The wolfswood stretches across the northwestern part of the north. It extends as far west as Sea Dragon Point and nearly as far south as Torrhen's Square. It is bounded to the north by the Bay of Ice and to the northeast by the lands of the northern mountain clans. To the east the wolfswood reaches Winterfell and extends north and south of the seat of House Stark. North of Winterfell are a series of hills in the forest. In the southeastern corner of the wolfswood south of Winterfell is a lake and a tributary of the White Knife. The kingsroad also travels north through the eastern edge of the wolfswood.
The wolfswood is made up of oak, evergreen and black brier, as well as sentinels, soldier pines, and hawthorn, beech, ash, chestnuts, ironwoods, and firs. Weirwoods are occasionally found isolated or in pairs. It contains abundant timber. Besides wolves, other animals living in the wolfswood include boar, deer, elk, badgers, rabbits, foxes, and bears.
Even in the deepest parts of the wolfswood, there are crofters, foresters and hunters. Deepwood Motte, the wooden fastness of House Glover, sits on a hill within the forest near the Bay of Ice. Families or clans sworn to Deepwood Motte include Houses Forrester, Woods, Branch, and Bole, all of whom are skilled woodsmen. The Starks of Winterfell often hunt boar in the forest.
According to the traditions of House Blackwood, the family once controlled most of what is now the wolfswood before being driven from the north by the Kings of Winter during the Age of Heroes. The Blackwoods then settled at Raventree Hall in the riverlands, where they ruled as kings before the Andal invasion.
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
After hearing of the ironborn threat to Torrhen's Square, Maester Luwin sends ravens to White Harbor, the barrowlands, and the deepest parts of the wolfswood with instructions to summon their levies. The ironborn capture Winterfell and Deepwood Motte, however.
After Bran and his companions, Osha, Hodor, and Meera and Jojen Reed, vanish from Winterfell, Theon Greyjoy follows a trail that leads north by northwest into the misty wolfswood. His hunting party passes near treacherous gullies, stony hills, a deserted crofter's cottage, and a flooded quarry. Unbeknownst to Theon, however, Bran and his friends have hidden in the crypts of Winterfell.
A Storm of Swords
Bran and his companions travel north to the Wall. Rather than take the kingsroad from Winterfell, they detour around the western edge of the hills north of the castle. Bran is protected within Tumbledown Tower while Summer hunts in the wolfswood. While in Summer's mind, Bran considers himself to be "prince of the green, prince of the wolfswood".
A Dance with Dragons
Jon Snow learns in a letter from Stannis Baratheon that crofters from the wolfswood have joined his army after the fight by Deepwood Motte. Because of a blizzard, the army of Stannis travels slowly in their march on Winterfell, where Lord Roose Bolton has his own army. Stannis's host is forced to make camp at a crofters' village in the forest.
Chapters that take place in the Wolfswood
- A Game of Thrones: 13. Tyrion II
- A Game of Thrones: 37. Bran V
- A Clash of Kings: 50. Theon IV
- A Storm of Swords: 9: Bran I
- A Dance with Dragons: 42. The King's Prize
- A Dance with Dragons: 62. The Sacrifice
Game of Thrones - A Telltale Games Series
In Game of Thrones - A Telltale Games Series, House Forrester's seat of Ironrath is located at the edge of the largest ironwood forest in Westeros. The Forresters control most of the wolfswood's ironwoods and they are rivals with House Whitehill.
References and Notes
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 13, Tyrion II.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Map of the North
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The Lands of Ice and Fire.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 50, Theon IV.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 26, The Wayward Bride.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 48, Jon VI.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 66, Theon VI.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 9, Bran I.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Map of the North
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 42, The King's Prize.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 19, Arya V.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 37, Bran V.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 46, Bran VI.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 69, Bran VII.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 35, Jon VII.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 62, The Sacrifice.
- ↑ The Telltale Blog: Your Story Begins: First details on 'Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series'