Bear Island is a remote island in the North that is home to House Mormont. It lies within the Bay of Ice, north of Deepwood Motte and south of the Frozen Shore. The Mormonts live at Mormont Keep.
The island contains old gnarled oaks, tall pines, flowering thornbushes, moss-covered grey stones, and steep hills with streams. Aside from a few crofters, the inhabitants of Bear Island live along the coasts and fish the seas.
- See also: Images of Bear Island
Bear Island has long been disputed by the North and the Iron Islands. Bear Island was ruled by House Woodfoot prior to its conquest by the ironborn. House Hoare then added a green tree in the second quarter of their sigil as a reference to their possession of Bear Island. The island was used as a reaving base by Ravos Hoare, the son of King Harrag Hoare, but King Theon Stark drove the ironborn from Bear Island during his reign, slaying Ravos himself.
King Loron Greyjoy later retook Bear Island for the ironborn in the century after King Gerold Lannister raided the Iron Islands. After Loron's death, however, a weak King of the Iron Islands lost Bear Island again during the reign of King Rodrik Stark, supposedly as a result of a wrestling match. Rodrik then gave the island to House Mormont.
In days past, ironmen and wildlings from the Frozen Shore would raid Bear Island whilst the men were fishing out at sea, leaving the defense of the island to its women. This created a warrior culture among the women.
Lord Jeor Mormont joined the Night's Watch to allow his son, Jorah Mormont, to rule Bear Island. Jorah ruled Bear Island with his wife, Lynesse Hightower, but she decided that the remote isle was no place for a Hightower of Oldtown. After Jorah was caught poaching slaves to support Lynesse's lifestyle, the liege lord of the North, Lord Eddard Stark, traveled to Bear Island to execute him or force him to take the black. However, the disgraced Jorah had already taken ship into exile with his wife by the time Ned arrived. Bear Island thus passed to Jeor's sister, Lady Maege Mormont.
A Game of Thrones
A Storm of Swords
A Dance with Dragons
When King Stannis Baratheon demands allegiance from the northmen, ten-year-old Lyanna Mormont, the acting Lady of Bear Island in the absence of her mother and older sisters, answers that Bear Island knows only the King in the North, whose name is Stark. However, after the retaking of Deepwood Motte, Alysane Mormont and her men join Stannis's army.
References and Notes
- ↑ The Lands of Ice and Fire.
- ↑ A Song of Ice and Fire Campaign Guide
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 12, Daenerys I.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The North.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Iron Islands.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 56, Bran IV.
- ↑ The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses on the Iron Islands
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 The World of Ice and Fire, The North: The Kings of Winter.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Iron Islands: Driftwood Crowns.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 66, Bran VII.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 45, Catelyn V.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 12, Eddard II.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 21, Tyrion III.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 53, Bran VI.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 55, Jon VII.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 3, Jon I.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 35, Jon VII.