Great Wyk is the largest of the islands that make up the Iron Islands. Aside from the Lonely Light, it is the westernmost of the major isles. Great Wyk is west of Old Wyk and Orkmont, north of Saltcliffe, and northeast of Pyke. Unlike the other isles, Great Wyk is so large that some of its castles, such as Hammerhorn, are inland instead of near the Sunset Sea or Ironman's Bay.
Hammerhorn, the seat of the main line of House Goodbrother, is located in the Hardstone Hills. Other branches of the Goodbrothers on Great Wyk live at Corpse Lake, Crow Spike Keep, and Downdelving. The Merlyns reside in Pebbleton, while the Farwynds live at Sealskin Point.
After the War of Conquest, King Aegon I Targaryen invaded Great Wyk with Balerion and a host to subdue the various iron lords claiming to be King of the Iron Islands. Aegon slew Qhorin Volmark with Blackfyre.
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons
References and Notes
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 1, The Prophet.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Map of the Iron Islands
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 24, Theon II.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 The World of Ice and Fire, The Black Blood.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Greyjoys of Pyke.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 26, The Wayward Bride.