Pyke is one of the larger islands among the Iron Islands, an archipelago located on Ironman's Bay, on the western side of Westeros. Pyke is located east of Saltcliffe, southeast of Great Wyk, and southwest of Harlaw. Pyke is a day's sail from Harlaw. Smallfolk claim House Greyjoy's castle of Pyke is named after the island.
Pyke is not as large nor as rich as Great Wyk, Harlaw, and Orkmont. The island is home to a castle, also called Pyke, the seat of House Greyjoy, whose lord is known as the Lord Reaper of Pyke. Near the castle is the port town of Lordsport, the seat of House Botley, which provides safe anchor for those who wish to reach Pyke. The town of Iron Holt on the northern coast of the isle is the seat of House Wynch, who are also a strong house on Pyke.
King Theon Stark defended the North against raiders from Pyke. The island was once ruled by rock kings and salt kings, but they became lords when Urron Greyiron established a hereditary dynasty of Kings of the Iron Islands.
Pretenders arose on Great Wyk, Old Wyk, Orkmont, and Pyke after the death of Harren the Black. House Greyjoy ultimately became the new Lords of the Iron Islands after submitting to King Aegon I Targaryen.
A Clash of Kings
A Feast for Crows
After the death of King Balon Greyjoy, his brother Euron declared himself King of the Isles and the North. When Lord Sawane Botley denies Euron's claim, Euron drowns him and grants half of the Botley lands to Lord Waldon Wynch of Iron Holt.
References and Notes
- ↑ The Lands of Ice and Fire.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 24, Theon II.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The World of Ice & Fire, Pyke.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The World of Ice & Fire, The Greyjoys of Pyke.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 11, Theon I.
- ↑ A Song of Ice and Fire Campaign Guide
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 11, The Kraken's Daughter.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, Kings of Winter.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Iron Kings.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Red Kraken.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Old Way and the New.