Seagard is a town and castle in the northern riverlands. It is the seat of House Mallister. Located on the western coast along Ironman's Bay, Seagard is sheltered by the Cape of Eagles and is nestled near the headwaters of the Blue Fork. It is southwest of the Twins and northwest of Oldstones.
The Booming Tower in the town is named for the immense bronze bell, used to call the townsfolk and others into the safety of the castle when longships are sighted. The Mallisters have a small fleet of six longships and two war galleys to defend the region.
During Greyjoy's Rebellion, the bronze bell of the Booming Tower rang for the first time in three hundred years, when longships under the command of Rodrik Greyjoy attacked Seagard. Lord Jason Mallister killed Rodrik beneath the castle walls and threw the ironmen back into the sea. King Robert I Baratheon's army sailed from Seagard and Lannisport to subdue the Iron Islands.
A Game of Thrones
Ser Kevan Lannister notes that the Mallisters of Seagard and the Freys of the Twins are the only standing threats to the Lannister campaign in the Riverlands. Lord Tywin Lannister disregards them, stating that Lord Walder Frey will not take the field when victory is doubtful and that Lord Jason Mallister is not strong enough to fight alone.
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
King Robb Stark intends to have his mother, Lady Catelyn Tully, travel to Seagard for protection, but both are killed beforehand at the Red Wedding. The heir to Seagard, Patrek Mallister, is taken captive by the Freys during the ambush.
A Feast for Crows
Jaime Lannister learns from Ser Ryman Frey that Lord Jason Mallister surrendered Seagard and swore fealty to the Iron Throne only when Black Walder threatened to hang the captured Patrek Mallister if his father refused to surrender.
References and Notes
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Map of the South
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 63, Catelyn.
- ↑ The Lands of Ice and Fire.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 11, Theon.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 45, Catelyn.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Riverlands.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Old Way and the New.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 56, Tyrion.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 7, Catelyn.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Appendix.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 51, Catelyn.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 60, Tyrion.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 38, Jaime.