From A Wiki of Ice and Fire
The Trident is a river in the aptly named Riverlands. Made of numerous smaller tributaries, it is one of the largest rivers on the continent of Westeros. It is a confluence of three main forks: the Red, the Green and the Blue, eventually flowing into the Bay of Crabs.
The Red Fork of the Trident is wide and slow, a meandering river of loops and bends dotted with tiny wooded islets and frequently choked by sandbars and snags. Upstream from Riverrun, the river makes a wide loop and the waters become shallower and muddier. Along the Red Fork the west bank is higher than its eastern bank. The lands of House Bracken lie along the Red Fork. There is a crossing, the Mummer's Ford, where the Battle at the Mummer's Ford takes place. Riverrun sits along the Red Fork. Red Deer Island is located on the Red Fork. South of the Inn of the Kneeling Man, the river is broad but shallow. Its banks are all mud and reeds.
North of the Crossroads Inn, the Kingsroad travels along the Green Fork of the Trident, through fertile valleys and green woodlands, past thriving towns and the castles of the river lords. North of the Ruby Ford, where Robert Baratheon won his crown at the Battle of the Trident, there is no crossing until the Twins, the seat of House Frey. At the Twins, the Green Fork runs deep and swift.
Seagard lies near the headwaters of the Blue Fork. Two towns, Ramsford and Fairmarket, lie on the Blue Fork. In order to get around the Blue Fork when it swells its banks, one must travel through Sevenstreams and Hag's Mire. The Blue Fork dissolves into smaller waterways such as rills and brooks beyond Sevenstreams.
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
For his service in allying House Tyrell with House Lannister and House Baratheon of King's Landing, Lord Petyr Baelish receives the title Lord Paramount of the Trident, replacing Lord Hoster Tully as liege lord of the Riverlands according to the Iron Throne.
A Storm of Swords
References and Notes
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 1, Jaime.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 39, Catelyn.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 45, Catelyn.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 2, Sansa.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 11, Jaime.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 27, Daenerys.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 55, Catelyn.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 59, Tyrion.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 63, Daenerys.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 45, Catelyn.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 71, Catelyn.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 65, Sansa.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Appendix.