King of the Trident
King of the Trident and King of the Rivers and the Hills were titles used by various river kings from the riverlands prior to the War of Conquest. The titles refer to the numerous rivers in the kingdom, such as the Trident with its three forks and the Blackwater Rush. The hills between the riverlands and the westerlands were also historically contested by river kings and Kings of the Rock.
Numerous houses ruled as First Men river kings, including Houses Fisher, Blackwood, Bracken, and Mudd. The Mudds ruled from the Trident to the Neck and reigned as kings for a thousand years before the Andal invasion.
After the Andals divided the riverlands amongst themselves, many petty lords named themselves river king, the most successful of them being the Justman and Teague dynasties. The Hooks were river kings of old, although it is unknown if they were First Men or Andals. The Teagues, the last of the native river kings, were eventually extinguished in the Battle of Six Kings, and the riverlands passed first to the Storm Kings from House Durrandon and then the Kings of the Isles and the Rivers from House Hoare.
A Game of Thrones
A Storm of Swords
When Robb, the Young Wolf, gathers his bannermen in Riverrun's Great Hall after campaigning in the westerlands, Greatjon Umber calls out, "King in the North!", to which the river lords respond with "King of the Trident!"
A Dance with Dragons
- Tristifer IV Mudd
- Tristifer V Mudd
- Benedict I Justman
- Benedict II Justman
- Bernarr II Justman
- Torrence Teague
- Theo Teague
- Humfrey I Teague
- Humfrey II Teague
- Hollis Teague
- Tyler Teague
- Damon Teague
- Robb Stark
References and Notes
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Westerlands.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The World of Ice and Fire, The Riverlands.
- ↑ So Spake Martin: Blackwood-Bracken Feud and Coinage
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 45, Catelyn V.
- ↑ So Spake Martin: Bywater, River Kings, and Dornish Heraldry
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 The World of Ice and Fire, The Conquest.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 71, Catelyn XI.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 14, Catelyn II.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 48, Jaime I.