|House Strong of Harrenhal|
|Coat of arms|| A tripartite pale, blue, red, and green, on a white field|
(Argent, a pale tierced per pale azure, gules, and vert)
|Title||Lord of Harrenhal|
|Died out||131 AC|
House Strong of Harrenhal was a noble house in the riverlands. Their main seat was Harrenhal. Like the other families who have been in possession of Harrenhal, their family died out. According to semi-canon sources they blazoned their arms with a tripartite pale blue, red, and green on white, representing the three forks of the Trident.
During the reign of King Jaehaerys I Targaryen, Ser Lucamore Strong was elevated to the Kingsguard. He was however caught breaking his vows after fathering sixteen children. He was gelded and sent to join the Night's Watch. There is a song about Lucamore.
At time of the Dance of the Dragons, the House's wealth was "not-inconsiderable" according to Archmaester Gyldayn. Lord Larys "Clubfoot" sat on the green council of King Aegon II Targaryen, while his castellan and kinsman Ser Simon held Harrenhal against the blacks. That the House supported the green cause may mean that Rhaenyra Targaryen's sons were not those of Ser Harwin Strong, or at least that their affair ended badly.
Aegon II refused to surrender to the riverlands army led by young Lord Kermit Tully, who had defeated the last green army in the Battle of the Kingsroad, and the king was poisoned shortly after. During the Hour of the Wolf, Larys was accused of betraying his king and he chose death over the Wall. Thus, he was executed by Lord Cregan Stark, Hand for the newly-crowned Aegon III, thus ending the main branch of House Strong in 131 AC. Possession of Harrenhal then went to House Lothston.
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons
House Strong at the end of third century
The known Strongs during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Duncan Strong, an exile serving with the Golden Company.
- Denys Strong, an exile serving with the Golden Company.
- Ser Robert Strong, a member of the Kingsguard under Tommen I Baratheon.
- Ser Osmund Strong, a Hand of the King for Aegon I Targaryen.
- Ser Lucamore Strong, known as Lucamore the Lusty, a brother of the Kingsguard gelded and sent to the Wall by his sworn brothers for fathering sixteen children on three women.
- Lord Lyonel Strong, Lord of Harrenhal and the master of laws and Hand of the King during the reign of Viserys I Targaryen. Died at Harrenhal in a mysterious fire.
- Ser Harwin Strong, Breakbones, was the rumored paramour of Rhaenyra Targaryen and the supposed father to her three sons, Jace, Luke, and Joffrey Velaryon. Said to be the strongest man in the Seven Kingdoms in his day. Died at Harrenhal in a mysterious fire.
- Lord Larys Strong, known as Larys Clubfoot, Lord of Harrenhal and the master of whisperers during the reign of Viserys I Targaryen.
- Two unnamed daughters.
- Ser Simon Strong, the elderly castellan of Harrenhal during the Dance of the Dragons. He quickly surrendered to Prince Daemon Targaryen at the sight of his dragon, Caraxes. Simon and his grandsons were then held as hostages.
Familytree during the Dance of the Dragons
References and Notes
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 22, Arya II.
- ↑ The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses in the Riverlands
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Conquest.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The World of Ice and Fire, Aegon I.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 13, The Soiled Knight.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 16, Jaime II.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 The World of Ice and Fire, House Tully.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 The Princess and the Queen.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, Aegon III.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 23, Alayne I.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Appendix.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 65, Cersei II.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 The Rogue Prince.