The kingsroad is the main overland route in the Seven Kingdoms and extends for almost two thousand miles. From the northernmost end at Castle Black, at the Wall, it runs south to Winterfell and then on through Moat Cailin and the only causeway through the Neck to the capital at King's Landing and continues south to Storm's End. It is not as impressive as the great Valyrian roads of the past, but overall it increases mobility and speeds of travel.
- See also: Images of the Kingsroad
The kingsroad's quality varies from place to place. Its main section is between King's Landing and the Neck and sustains numerous inns and villages along its length. Just north of King's Landing, the grand road is initially little more than two narrow dirt tracks, winding back and forth on itself. To pass through the Neck it becomes a causeway. North of the Neck and south of King's Landing the road winds down. Inns exist, but they are farther apart and much less able to accommodate large parties.
The kingsroad begins in the stormlands at Storm's End on Shipbreaker Bay. It runs northwest past Bronzegate and through the kingswood to the Blackwater Rush, opposite the River Gate of King's Landing in the crownlands. At the capital it is met by the Goldroad coming from the westerlands and the roseroad from the Reach. At King's Landing the kingsroad continues north through the capital's Dragon Gate and passes east of the God's Eye and by Harrenhal in the riverlands.
At the inn at the crossroads, the kingsroad meets the river road from the Trident and the high road from the Vale of Arryn. Nearby is Lord Harroway's Town. It continues north, running east of the Green Fork of the Trident and the Twins. The causeway of the kingsroad is the only safe way through the Neck, although the crannogmen know of other routes through the swampy terrain. The formidable ruins of Moat Cailin guard the northern edge of the Neck.
After Moat Cailin, the kingsroad travels north through the barrowlands, the southeastern wolfswood, and a tributary of the White Knife to Winterfell, the seat of House Stark in the north. Once the kingsroad moves beyond Winterfell, inns are still available and farms are guarded by holdfasts. West of the road lie the flint foothills of the northern mountains and to the east are rolling plains. Three days ride north of Winterfell the road becomes more sparsely travelled, journeying through the northeastern wolfswood and then going west of Long Lake and Last Hearth.
After leaving the lands of House Umber, the kingsroad enters the territory of the Night's Watch, passing through the Gift and near Queenscrown. The kingsroad passes Mole's Town and ends at Castle Black at the Wall. Near the Wall it is a twisty ribbon, narrow, stony, and pocked with weeds.
The Battle of the Kingsroad between Lord Borros Baratheon and the Lads was the last battle of the Dance of the Dragons. Lord Cregan Stark led a host of northmen to King's Landing, leading to the Hour of the Wolf.
A Game of Thrones
Traffic on the kingsroad south of the Neck intensifies in anticipation of the Hand's tourney. Blaming Tyrion for an attempt on her son Bran's life, Catelyn abducts the returning Tyrion at the crossroads inn.
With Ned Stark arrested by the Iron Throne after the death of Robert, Robb Stark gathers northmen to Winterfell. His host is joined by other bannermen as they travel south along the kingsroad. With the outbreak of war, Lord Tywin Lannister, Tyrion's father, closes off the kingsroad in the riverlands. Commanding Robb's foot, Lord Roose Bolton marches south on the kingsroad but is defeated in the battle on the Green Fork.
A Clash of Kings
Yoren brings a group of recruits for the Night's Watch, including Arya Stark and Gendry, from King's Landing. They depart from the kingsroad for the Gods Eye, however, because of the numerous soldiers and gold cloaks along the road. The kingsroad and Gods Eye become ravaged by warfare between Lannisters and rivermen.
A Storm of Swords
In response to Robett Glover and Ser Helman Tallhart marching on Duskendale, Tywin sends Ser Gregor Clegane to cut off their retreat on the kingsroad. After the battle at Duskendale, Robett is captured by Gregor near the kingsroad.
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons
Traveling from Castle Black to Mole's Town, Jon Snow observes newly-carved heart trees overlooking the kingsroad. Alys Karstark is found two leagues south of the village, after which Jon intercepts Cregan Karstark's party on the kingsroad before they can claim guest right.
Ramsay Bolton has the executed ironborn garrison nailed to posts on the kingsroad after the siege of Moat Cailin is resolved. The surrender of the ruined castle allows Roose Bolton to march his host from the riverlands to Winterfell.
My lady, let me accompany you at least. The kingsroad can be perilous for a woman alone.
These days, the sea is safer than the kingsroad.
When there was a Stark in Winterfell, a maiden girl could walk the kingsroad in her name-day gown and still go unmolested, and travelers could find fire, bread, and salt at many an inn and holdfast. But the nights are colder now, and doors are closed. There's squids in the wolfswood, and flayed men ride the kingsroad asking after strangers.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 9, Arya III.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 58, Davos III.
- The Lands of Ice and Fire.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 55, Catelyn VIII.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 13, Tyrion II.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 3, Jon I.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 70, Jon IX.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 41, Jon V.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 37, Brienne VII.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 17, Jon IV.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon II.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon III.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 37, Jaime V.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 2, Catelyn I.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 4, Eddard I.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 12, Eddard II.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 15, Sansa I.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 28, Catelyn V.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 53, Bran VI.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 62, Tyrion VIII.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 1, Arya I.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 5, Arya II.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 20, Tyrion V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 21, Jaime III.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 4, Tyrion I.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 35, Catelyn IV.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 24, Bran II.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 38, Tyrion V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 55, Jon VII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 60, Tyrion VIII.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 27, Jaime III.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 21, Jon V.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 44, Jon IX.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 49, Jon X.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 28, Jon VI.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 20, Reek II.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 41, The Turncloak.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 14, Catelyn III.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 21, Tyrion III.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 44, Sansa III.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 11, Jaime II.