Rosby sits just northeast of King's Landing along the Rosby road, the shortest road between the capital and Duskendale. Lying around the small castle is a village with daub-and-wattle huts, a sept, apple orchards, and fields of barley. Rosby's maester is Melwys.
Rosby initially supported the blacks during the Dance of the Dragons, but the castle was taken by Ser Criston Cole during the fighting. Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen ordered the execution of Lord Rosby for treason after the fall of King's Landing. During her flight later in the war, Rhaenyra was refused admittance to the castle of Rosby by the late lord's daughter. After Rhaenyra's death, King Aegon II Targaryen sent his men with Lord Borros Baratheon to force the submissions of Rosby, Duskendale, and Stokeworth. Rosby then raised the flag of Aegon III Targaryen after the death of Aegon II.
A Clash of Kings
Prince Tommen Baratheon is held at Rosby on Tyrion Lannister's command to keep the royal family spread apart and make it harder for Stannis Baratheon to end the claims of Queen Cersei Lannister's children to the Iron Throne. Ser Boros Blount is held in Rosby's dungeon for surrendering Tommen to Ser Jacelyn Bywater without a fight.
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
Rosby's inheritance is unresolved after Gyles dies in King's Landing as he has no trueborn sons or daughters, although he does leave the unidentified ward. Cersei considers granting the castle to Aurane Waters.
A Dance with Dragons
The Rosby inheritance is brought up in a small council meeting. According to Grand Maester Pycelle, six claims have been put forward, but the council decides to settle the issue at a later date as they have more pressing matters to deal with.
Rosby was scarce more than a wide place in the road.—thoughts of Brienne of Tarth
Aurane had been hinting at his need for a seat; his lordship was only an empty honor without one. He had his eye on Dragonstone, Cersei knew, but there he aimed too high. Rosby would be more suitable to his birth and station.—thoughts of Cersei Lannister
Chapters that take place at Rosby
- The Lands of Ice and Fire, Westeros.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 4, Brienne I.
- A Clash of Kings, Appendix.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Riverlands.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reign of the Dragons: The Conquest.
- Fire & Blood, Birth, Death, and Betrayal under King Jaehaerys I.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - The Red Dragon and the Gold.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon II.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Overthrown.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - The Short, Sad Reign of Aegon II.
- Fire & Blood, Aftermath - The Hour of the Wolf.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 17, Tyrion IV.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 44, Tyrion X.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 49, Tyrion XI.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 4, Tyrion I.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 33, Samwell II.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 24, Cersei V.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 39, Cersei IX.
- A Dance with Dragons, Epilogue.