The quiet rainwood is famed for its fur, timber, and amber. Trees include cedars, hemlocks, maples, oaks, redwoods, sentinels, soldier pines, wormtrees, and occasionally weirwoods. The wood is full of caves.
Strongholds in the rainwood are often integrated with the surrounding forest. Mistwood is located in the southern rainwood, while Rain House is found in its northeast. Because of the presence of amber, Amberly might also be situated in the forest.
The rainwood was once part of a primeval forest which also included what is now the kingswood and was inhabited by children of the forest. The children tolerated the building of First Men villages along the forest's streams, but conflict broke out over the First Men's use of timber.
Durran Godsgrief of Storm's End claimed the forest for the First Men, leading to generations of warfare between House Durrandon and the children. The woods witch known as the Green Queen held the forest for almost a generation.
Much of the rainwood was conquered during the Andal invasion, but King Baldric I Durrandon encouraged the Andal warlords to fight amongst each other. The children of the forest gradually disappeared from the rainwood after the First Men and Andals made peace.
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons
The Winds of Winter
|| Warning |
This information has thus far been released in a sample chapter for The Winds of Winter, and might therefore not be in finalized form. Keep in mind that the content as described below is still subject to change.
Here the trees rule, it is said, and the castles oft seem as if they have grown from the earth instead of being built. But the knights and lords of the rainwood have roots as deep as the trees that shelter them, and have oft proved themselves steadfast in battle, strong and stubborn and immovable.
- writings of Yandel
Dusk found them on the fringes of the rainwood, a wet green world where brooks and rivers ran through dark forests and the ground was made of mud and rotting leaves.
- Arianne Martell's thoughts
- A Game of Thrones, Map of the South
- So Spake Martin: The Stormlands
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Stormlands: The Men of the Stormlands.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Stormlands: The Coming of the First Men.
- The Winds of Winter, Arianne II
- The Lands of Ice and Fire.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Coming of the First Men.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Stormlands: House Durrandon.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Stormlands: Andals in the Stormlands.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Dorne: Dorne Against the Dragons.
- The Sworn Sword.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aerys II.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 36, Davos IV.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 30, Jaime IV.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 61, The Griffin Reborn.
- The Winds of Winter, Arianne I
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Men of the Stormlands.