The Hand's tourney is held in King's Landing to celebrate the naming of Eddard Stark as Hand of the King to Robert Baratheon. The tournament contests of a joust, melee and archery contest. The prizes are 40,000 gold dragons for the winner of the joust, 20,000 dragons for the runner-up of the joust, 20,000 dragons to the winner of the melee and 10,000 to the winner of the archery contest. Eddard disapproves of the high winnings commanded by Robert. The surrounding roads, inns and the city become busy.
- Jory Cassel defeats Horas Redwyne
- Jory Cassel defeats a member of House Frey
- Lothor Brune jousts Jory Cassel. After three tilts Lothor is awarded the victory.
- Ser Meryn Trant defeats Harwin of Winterfell
- Ser Balon Swann defeats Alyn of Winterfell
- Ser Jaime Lannister defeats Ser Andar Royce
- Ser Jaime Lannister defeats Lord Bryce Caron
- Ser Barristan Selmy defeats an unnamed rider
- Ser Barristan Selmy defeats another unnamed rider
- Ser Jaime Lannister defeats Ser Barristan Selmy
- Ser Gregor Clegane defeats an unnamed rider
- Ser Gregor Clegane defeats Ser Hugh of the Vale, killing him
- Ser Gregor Clegane defeats Ser Balon Swann
- Sandor Clegane defeats Lord Renly Baratheon
- Lord Beric Dondarrion defeats a hedge knight in a checkered cloak, after the knight disgraces himself by killing his horse
- Thoros of Myr defeats Lord Beric Dondarrion
- Ser Aron Santagar jousts against Lothor Brune, but after three tilts they are awarded a draw
- Lord Jason Mallister defeats Ser Aron Santagar
- Ser Robar Royce defeats Lothor Brune
- Ser Loras Tyrell defeats Ser Meryn Trant, knight of the Kingsguard.
- Ser Loras Tyrell defeats another knight of the Kingsguard
- Ser Loras Tyrell defeats a third knight of the Kingsguard
- Ser Loras Tyrell defeats Ser Robar Royce
- Ser Loras Tyrell defeats Ser Gregor Clegane in the semi-final tilt. Loras rides a mare in heat that distracts Gregor's stallion.
- Sandor Clegane defeats Ser Jaime Lannister in the semi-final tilt
- Sandor Clegane is supposed to face Ser Loras Tyrell in the final tilt, but Loras, in gratitude to the Hound for saving his life from his brother Gregor, yields the match.
- House Mertyns - the horned owl
- House Prester - the red ox
- House Piper - the dancing maiden
- House Massey - the triple spiral
- House Marbrand - the burning tree
- House Crakehall - the brindled boar
- House Rambton - the white ram
- House Wyl - the black adder
|“||As if the expense and trouble were not irksome enough, all and sundry insisted on salting Ned's wound by calling it "the Hand's tourney," as if he were the cause of it. And Robert honestly seemed to think he should feel honored!||”|
|“||The splendor of it all took Sansa's breath away; the shining armor, the great chargers caparisoned in silver and gold, the shouts of the crowd, the banners snapping in the wind... and the knights themselves, the knights most of all. "It's better than the songs."||”|
References and Notes
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 27, Eddard VI.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 29, Sansa II.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 34, Catelyn VI.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 20, Eddard IV.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 28, Catelyn V.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 30, Eddard VII.