From A Wiki of Ice and Fire
|House Dondarrion of Blackhaven|
|Coat of arms||A forked purple lightning on black field speckled with four-pointed stars|
|Current Lord||Lord Beric Dondarrion|
|Title||Lord of Blackhaven|
|Founded||Before 1 AL|
The Dondarrion line was founded when a messenger from the Storm King was ambushed by two Dornishmen while riding on a stormy night. An arrow killed his horse and his sword broke when he fell. When he thought he was doomed, a bright purple lightning bolt struck the Dornishmen killing both. The man was thus able to deliver his crucial message on time. For this, the Storm King raised him to lordship, and he became the first Dondarrion.
The House's course during the War of the Five Kings is unknown. Its head, Lord Beric Dondarrion, spends much of the war in the Riverlands as the leader of the Brotherhood Without Banners. His household may not have declared for anyone due to his absence.
The Dondarrion House at the end of the third century
The known Dondarrions during the timespan of the events described on A Song of Ice and Fire are:
Lord Edric Dayne, Lord Beric's squire and Lady Allyria's nephew.
References in the books
Dunk and Egg
- Ser Arlan and Dunk served Lord Caron and Old Lord Dondarrion when they fought the Vulture King in the Red Mountains three years before the Ashford Tourney.
- Lord Dondarrion took eight hundred knights and near four thousand foot into the Red Mountains to fight the Vulture King.
- Ser Duncan recognizes Lord Dondarrion's purple lightning at Ashford.
- Ser Manfred Dondarrion refuses to vouch for Dunk's knighthood, even after he repeats the story of how the origin of House Dondarrion and their arms as he had heard it in Dondarrion's camp.
A Song of Ice and Fire
- At a tourney at Blackhaven, a ten-year old Barristan Selmy entered the lists as a mystery knight. He was eventually unhorsed and unmasked by Prince Duncan Targaryen, earning Ser Barristan the name 'Bold'.
- Jeyne Poole becomes infatuated with Lord Beric Dondarrion when she sees him at the Tourney of the Hand. A hedge knight kills Lord Beric's horse during the Tourney of the Hand. He later falls to Thoros of Myr.
- Lord Beric is chosen by Lord Eddard Stark to command the men sent to capture Ser Gregor Clegane and execute him for his crimes. Lord Beric's company is ambushed by Clegane and Lannister men. Many die, including Lord Beric. His body is defended by his squire, young Lord Edric Dayne, and was accidentally revived to life by Thoros of Myr during traditional burial rites.
- The survivors of Gregor's attack, led by Beric Dondarrion, constitute the Brotherhood Without Banners.
- Beric Dondarrion and his outlaws attack the foraging parties of Tywin Lannister's army several times.
- Ser Burton Crakehall was the first to boast that he had slain Beric Dondarrion, but the lightning lord reappeared not much later.
- Lord Beric had also been reported as killed by Ser Amory Lorch at Rushing Falls, twice by Gregor Clegane, and then by Vargo Hoat and his Bloody Mummers.
- Arya Stark meets Beric Dondarrion, and witnesses him slain again by Sandor Clegane in a trial by battle. Thoros of Myr revives him once again. Thoros confesses that he has revived Lord Beric six times, all of them accounted for. Lord Beric expresses being tired of living.
- When the Brotherhood Without Banners encounters Catelyn Tully's corpse by the riverside, Lord Beric gives her the "kiss of life" to bring her back, and dies his final death.
References and Notes