|House Rogers of Amberly|
|Coat of arms|| Nine silver unicorns around a silver maze, on a black field|
(Sable, a maze within an annulet of nine unicorns argent)
House Rogers of Amberly is a noble house from Amberly in the stormlands. According to semi-canon sources they blazon their arms with nine unicorns around a maze, silver on black. Their words are not known.
House Rogers at the end of the third century
The known Rogers during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- no member has appeared yet.
- Harrold Rogers, married Branda Stark.
- Ser Corwin Rogers, attended the tourney at Ashford Meadow in 209 AC.
Behind the Scenes
As George R. R. Martin has named a number of houses to colleagues or their work, the house is a homage to colleague Roger Zelazny. Zelazny's most famous series is The Chronicles of Amber, which includes nine princes. The unicorns and the maze that feature in the coat of arms of House Rogers are mentioned in Zelazny's series. The Patternmaker's Maze in Braavos and Qarl Correy may also be references to Zelazny.
References and Notes
- ↑ The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses from the Stormlands
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, Appendix: Stark Lineage.
- ↑ The Hedge Knight, Graphic Novel.
- ↑ List of characters and arms in The Hedge Knight graphic novel collection
- ↑ House Willum is named after writer Tad Williams, House Jordayne to Robert Jordan and House Deddings to David Eddings. The Citadel. "Josua and Elyas" (December 4, 1999) So Spake Martin