|House Penrose of Parchments|
|Coat of arms|| White crossed quills, on a russet field|
(Brunâtre, two quills saltirewise argent)
|Words||Set Down Our Deeds|
|Title||Lord of Parchments|
House Penrose of Parchments is a noble house from Parchments in the Stormlands. They are one of the main noble houses sworn to the Baratheons of Storm's End. Their blazon is tenné, two quills crossed argent. According to semi-canon sources, their words are "Set Down Our Deeds".
House Penrose gained a significant influence within the royal court after lord Ronnel Penrose married Princess Elaena Targaryen. Ronnel Penrose sat on the king's small council as Master of Coin, though it was widely known that his wife Elaena was the one performing the duties of the office. The couple had four children together, namely; Robin, Laena, Jocelyn and Joy. Some time afterwards a member of House Penrose, yet again, married a Targaryen when Aelinor Penrose wed prince Aerys Targaryen, who would become King Aerys I.
During the Blackfyre Rebellion, House Penrose remained loyal to House Targaryen. At the crossing of the Mander, Ser Quentyn Ball slew all of Lady Penrose's sons except for the youngest, whom he spared as a favor to the lady. Ser Jon Penrose fought at the Ashford Tourney and managed to unhorse Ser Tybolt Lannister, but lost the duel.
A Clash of Kings
Although he has raised banners for King Renly Baratheon, Lord Penrose welcomes Ser Davos Seaworth when he comes as a messenger from his liege lord, Stannis Baratheon and treats him well. The banners of House Penrose are seen in Renly's camp beneath Bitterbridge.
As castellan of Storm's End, Ser Cortnay Penrose leads the defenders of the castle during the siege by Stannis, refusing to surrender either the castle or his ward, Edric Storm. Cortnay supposedly falls from the walls of Storm's End to his death, but he is actually killed by a shadow assassin born from Melisandre's magic. After the Battle of the Blackwater, the Penroses most likely bend the knee to House Baratheon of King's Landing.
House Penrose at the end of the third century
The known Penroses during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Lord Penrose, Lord of Parchments. An old man, sickly and failing.
- Unnamed Lady Penrose, whose sons fought in the First Blackfyre Rebellion.
- Ronnel Penrose, who married Princess Elaena Targaryen and became the Master of Coin on King Daeron II Targaryen's Small council.
- Queen Aelinor Penrose, the wife of King Aerys I Targaryen.
- Ser Jon Penrose, who fought at the Ashford Tourney.
References and Notes
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
- ↑ The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses from the Stormlands
- ↑ The Citadel. House Mottoes
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Sisters of Baelor I.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 The Hedge Knight.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 The Mystery Knight.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 8.5 The World of Ice & Fire, Appendix: Targaryen Lineage.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Baelor I.