Master of coin
From A Wiki of Ice and Fire
Duties of the master of coin include keeping account of the receipts and expenditures from the royal treasury, receiving reports from royal officials, supervising the collection of taxes and custom duties, borrowing money, managing the royal treasury and supervising the three royal mints. The master of coin oversees a large number of offices including the four Keepers of the Keys, the King's Counter, the King's Scales, the officers in charge of mints, harbormasters, tax farmers, customs sergeants, wool factors, toll collectors, pursers and wine factors.
During the War of Conquest Crispian Celtigar served Aegon I Targaryen as the first master of coin. Nearly two centuries later, even though Elaena Targaryen's husband sat on the king's small council as master of coin, it was widely known that she was the one performing the duties.
List of Known Masters of Coin
- Lord Crispian Celtigar, served under Aegon the Conqueror.
- Lord Lyman Beesbury, served under Jaehaerys I and then his grandson Viserys I.
- Ser Tyland Lannister, served under Aegon II.
- The husband of Elaena Targaryen.
- Lord Ambrose Butterwell, served Daeron II and Aerys I.
- Lord Petyr Baelish, appointed during the reign of Robert Baratheon; continued to serve under his successor Joffrey Baratheon.
- Tyrion Lannister, appointed when Littlefinger left to court Lysa Arryn.
- Lord Gyles Rosby - Lord Treasurer. Appointed after Tyrion's trial for Joffrey's murder.
- Ser Harys Swyft - Lord Treasurer and master of coin. Demoted from Hand of the King to replace Lord Rosby after his death.
A Feast for Crows
|“||The master of coin finds the money. The king and the Hand spend it.||”|
|“||The master of coin must be frugal.||”|
|“||We owe Lord Tywin some three million dragons at present, what matter another hundred thousand?||”|