From A Wiki of Ice and Fire
Fortress, Regional Capitol
|Religion||Faith of the Seven|
|Notable places||Sandship, Tower of the Sun, Spear Tower, shadow city|
Sunspear is the seat of House Martell and the capital of Dorne. The castle is located on the far southeastern coast of Westeros and is surrounded on three sides by the sea. The princely Water Gardens lie three leagues away on the coastal road.
Sunspear is a walled settlement, protected by three massive winding walls encircling one another. Entry to the city is by means of the Threefold Gate, where the gates are lined up one behind the other allowing straight passage, leading all the way up to the Old Palace. Otherwise one must travel through miles of narrow alleys, hidden courts, and noisy bazaars. Outside of the walls one can find mud-brick shops and windowless hovels.
Clinging to and overshadowed by the castle's massive walls, the so-called shadow city spreads westwards. Mud-brick shops and windowless hovels are closest to the walls, then west of those are stables, inns, winesinks, pillow houses, some with walls of their own. More hovels and buildings then spread beyond those walls. The shadow city is no more than a town when compared to the Free Cities, but it is the closest thing to a true city that the Dornish have.
- The Spear Tower, a massive tower of stone, thrusts up from the surrounding community, stretching one hundred and fifty feet tall, with a spear of gilded steel atop that adds a further thirty feet. Highborn prisoners might be confined in cells at the top of the Spear Tower.
- The Tower of the Sun has a dome of gold and leaded glass. Beneath the dome sits the throne room, a large round room with thick windows and many colored glass. The floors are made of pale marble. Within the throne room there are two seats on a dais, near twins to one another, the only difference being that one is inlaid with the Martell spear on its back and the other features the blazing Rhoynish sun that flew from the masts of Nymeria's ships. The spear seat is used by a ruling prince.
- The Sandship is a large building that looks like a dromond. It is dun-colored.
The Sandship was the ancient keep of the Martells, minor Dornish lords prior to the arrival of the Rhoynar in their ten thousand ships. Lord Mors Martell wed Princess Nymeria, however, and the alliance of the Martells and the Rhoynar led to the conquest of Dorne in Nymeria's War. The seat of the ruling Princes and Princesses of Dorne was Sunspear, the new castle which developed near the Sandship and was named after the union of the Martell spear with the sun of the Rhoyne. It contains beautiful towers built in the Rhoynish fashion, such as the Spear Tower and the Tower of the Sun.
A Feast for Crows
Prince Doran Martell orders Areo Hotah to round up the Sand Snakes, with the older sisters confined in the Spear Tower and the younger ones at the Water Gardens; Sarella remains in Oldtown. After plotting to crown Myrcella Baratheon as queen, Arianne Martell is imprisoned for some time within the Spear Tower.
A Dance with Dragons
Chapters that take place at Sunspear
- A Feast for Crows: 2. The Captain of the Guards
- A Feast for Crows: 13. The Soiled Knight
- A Feast for Crows: 40. The Princess in the Tower
- A Dance with Dragons: 38. The Watcher
References and Notes