Second Spice War
|Second Spice War|
|Date||~ 700 BC|
|Result|| Decisive Valyrian victory |
Rhoynar forced to flee Essos
The war began a thousand years ago when three dragonlords from the Valyrian Freehold joined Volantis in destroying the Rhoynish port Sarhoy on the Summer Sea. The Rhoynar responded by uniting under Prince Garin of Chroyane, the wonder of the Rhoyne who temporarily made Valyria tremble. Garin led a Rhoynish army of 250,000, which conquered Selhorys, Valysar, and Volon Therys, where they defeated three dragons with Rhoynish water wizards. The alarmed Volantenes sought help from Valyria itself, and the dragonlords responded by sending 300 dragons. The Valyrians crushed Garin's army with their dragons, then destroyed Sar Mell and Chroyane. According to legend, the captive Garin called down a curse upon the Valyrians at Chroyane which resulted in the Sorrows.
Princess Nymeria of Ny Sar, seeing the fate of Garin and his army, gathered the surviving Rhoynar, most of whom were women and children and old men, aboard their remaining watercraft and fled from Essos aboard ten thousand ships. The city of Ghoyan Drohe on the Little Rhoyne was turned into a ruin by the Valyrian dragons. Other cities destroyed by the Valyrians were Ar Noy and Nymeria's Ny Sar.
A Dance with Dragons
- Garin and Nymeria to the Rhoynar
Garin: We shall all be slaves unless we join together to end this threat.
Nymeria: This is a war we cannot hope to win.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 The World of Ice & Fire, Ancient History: Ten Thousand Ships.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 8, Tyrion III.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 14, Tyrion IV.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 18, Tyrion V.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 21, The Queenmaker.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 5, Tyrion II.