Volon Therys is a town on the eastern continent. It lies on the west bank of the Rhoyne. Almost directly across the river to the east lies the ruined Rhoynar city Sar Mell. To the north is Valysar, the Orange Shore is to the west, and Volantis is to the south along the Rhoyne.
The town was built and inhabited by Valyrians expanding to the west after the Ghis wars. During the Second Spice War, the town faced a battle against the host of the Rhoynish Prince Garin the Great. The Valyrians numbered 100,000 and had three dragonlords. The Rhoynish troops were protected by their water wizards, and archers managed to kill two dragons and drive away the other. The Valyrians lost the battle and Volon Therys was flooded.
A Dance with Dragons
Haldon goes into the city and purchases three horses, which are not the best horseflesh, but with the Dothraki across the river, half the populace of Volon Therys has decided they would sooner be elsewhere. Griff, Haldon and Young Griff ride the horses to rendezvous with the Golden Company who are camped beside a river.
In Volantis at the Merchant's House, Ser Jorah Mormont tells Tyrion Lannister that last night the gossip was about an exiled Westerosi lord that has hired the Golden Company to win back his lands for him. Half the captains in Volantis are racing upriver to Volon Therys to offer him their ships.
Chapters that take place at Volon Therys
References and Notes
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Map of the Free Cities
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Free Cities: Volantis.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 18, Tyrion V.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 24, The Lost Lord.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, Ancient History: Ten Thousand Ships.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 27, Tyrion VII.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 61, The Griffin Reborn.