Bitterbridge is situated where the river Mander meets the Roseroad. It takes its name from an ancient stone bridge that crosses the Mander. The castle is small, made of stone and timber. The keep is not that tall, but the land is low and flat and makes it seem taller.
The Battle of Stonebridge was one of many battles during the Faith Militant uprising against King Maegor I Targaryen. The savagery of that particular battle made the Mander run red with blood for twenty leagues. The bridge and castle that commanded it was forever known as Bitterbridge thereafter.
During the Dance of the Dragons, Hugh Hammer was named Lord of Bitterbridge by Prince Daemon Targaryen for his service in the Battle in the Gullet. Troops from Bitterbridge participated in the First Battle of Tumbleton and Hugh was killed at Second Tumbleton. Prince Maelor Targaryen and Ser Rickard Thorne were killed by a mob at Bitterbridge. When Lord Ormund Hightower came to raze Bitterbridge in revenge, Lady Caswell hanged herself from the castle walls.
A Clash of Kings
King Renly Baratheon's army is camped beneath the walls of Bitterbridge when Lady Catelyn Stark comes to meet with him. A great melee is hosted beneath the castle. Renly takes his horse to Storm's End to deal with King Stannis Baratheon, leaving his foot behind at Bitterbridge with his bride, Margaery Tyrell.
Following Renly's death, Lord Petyr Baelish hurries from King's Landing to Bitterbridge to meet with Ser Loras Tyrell, continuing on to Highgarden to negotiate with Lord Mace Tyrell. Lord Randyll Tarly returns to Bitterbridge, seizes Renly's stores, and puts many of the foot to death, especially those of House Florent. Lord Lorent Caswell shuts himself within the walls of his castle. Riders from Bitterbridge inform Lord Tywin Lannister of the alliance between House Tyrell and House Baratheon of King's Landing.
Chapters that take place in Bitterbridge
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 29, The Reaver.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Maegor I.
- The Princess and the Queen.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon II.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 8, Tyrion III.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 31, Catelyn III.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 36, Tyrion VIII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 68, Sansa VI.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 44, Tyrion X.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 14, Catelyn II.