The petty kings of House Oakheart joined the Kingdom of the Reach, the realm of King Garth III Gardener, through a pact of friendship and mutual defense. Lancel I Lannister, a King of the Rock, conquered as far south as Old Oak before being killed in combat, and his gains were lost by his son, King Loreon III Lannister.
There are tapestries at Old Oak that show historical conflicts between the Oakhearts and Dornishmen. In 12 AC during the First Dornish War, the Wyl of Wyl infiltrated the wedding of Ser Jon Cafferen and Alys Oakheart. After gelding Jon and killing Alys's father, Lord Oakheart, and most of the wedding guests, the Wyls raped the bride and her handmaids and sold the women to slavers from Myr. When Princess Deria Martell visited King's Landing as an envoy in 13 AC, the new Lord Oakheart suggested to King Aegon I Targaryen that Deria be sold to a brothel in retaliation for the Wyl of Wyl, who is still remembered in Fawnton and Old Oak. Aegon visited Old Oak on multiple occasions during his royal progresses.
When Lord Oakheart held a tourney to celebrate the birth of a son in 73 AC, Prince Baelon Targaryen participated as a mystery knight and received knighthood from Ser Rickard Redwyne. King Jaehaerys I Targaryen visited Old Oak atop Vermithor in 88 AC.
—thoughts of Arys Oakheart
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 13, The Soiled Knight.
- A Feast for Crows, Map of the South
- A Dance with Dragons, Map of the South
- A Clash of Kings, Appendix.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach: The Gardener Kings.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Westerlands.
- Fire & Blood, Reign of the Dragon - The Wars of King Aegon I.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Dorne: Dorne Against the Dragons.
- Fire & Blood, Three Heads Had the Dragon - Governance Under King Aegon I.
- Fire & Blood, The Long Reign - Jaehaerys and Alysanne - Policy, Progeny, and Pain.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Triumphant.