From A Wiki of Ice and Fire
The Mander is the largest river in the Reach. Large and powerful river, it is a slow-moving river, wide with snags and sandbars to trap the unwary ship. Some say the river is named after House Manderly.
The Mander has its source in hills near Tumbleton in the northeastern Reach near King's Landing. Flowing southwest past Bitterbridge, it meets the Blueburn near Longtable and then the Cockleswhent near Cider Hall. Near Highgarden the Mander meets an as-yet-unnamed river which flows south from Goldengrove. From Highgarden the Mander continues west to a bay of the Sunset Sea near the Shield Islands.
The upper reaches of the Mander are muddy and rough. As they near Highgarden, they settle down and become clear and calm.
Historically, the ironborn would raid up the river Mander all the way to Bitterbridge. During the reign of House Gardener, the kings of the Reach armed the smallfolk of the Shield Islands, which sit near the mouth of the river, to guard the approaches and warn those further inland of coming attacks.
References and Notes
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 21, The Queenmaker.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 29, The Reaver.
- ↑ "Mander" entry in A World of Ice and Fire
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The Sworn Sword.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn.
- ↑ The Lands of Ice and Fire
- ↑ A Game of Thrones RPG and Resource Book, Guardians of Order
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 9, Davos, p. 130.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 19, Davos.
- ↑ The Mystery Knight.