The Arbor is a golden island off the southwestern-most part of Westeros, ruled by House Redwyne. It is considered part of the Reach, and is separated from the mainland by the Redwyne Straits. It is protected by the Redwyne fleet, the largest fleet of the Seven Kingdoms.
The port town of Ryamsport is located on the Arbor, as well as the settlements of Vinetown and Starfish Harbor. Smaller islands in the vicinity of the Arbor include Stonecrab Cay, the Isle of Pigs, the Mermaid's Palace, Horseshoe Rock, and Bastard's Cradle. The Arbor and its surrounding isles are an excellent center for shipbuilding.
The Arbor is known for making the best wine in Westeros, especially a terrific red one and a gold wine. Wine from the Arbor is usually sweeter than wine from Dorne. Tourneys held at the Arbor are restricted to knights.
In the era of the First Men, ironborn rule under driftwood kings such as Qhored Hoare extended as far south as the Arbor. House Hoare's sigil included a grape cluster to represent the Arbor. Weaker ironborn kings eventually lost the Arbor, however, although Joron I Blacktyde is said to have raided the island and carried off its younger women.
Kingdom of the Reach
In the aftermath of the ironborn's decline, the Arbor was an independent kingdom. It was incorporated into the realm of Meryn III Gardener, the King of the Reach, when his cousin, the last King of the Arbor, was lost at sea. Fleets from the Arbor and Oldtown protected the Reach from naval attacks during the Andal invasion.
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
The Arbor is attacked by the ironborn after the fall of the Shield Islands. Most of the Redwyne fleet is away at the siege of Dragonstone, and the small fleet left to defend the island is overwhelmed and destroyed. This allows the ironborn to send their ships into the Whispering Sound and threaten Oldtown.
References and Notes
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The World of Ice and Fire, The Reach.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 16, Jaime II.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 45, Samwell V.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 40, Daenerys III.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 25, Tyrion VI.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Prologue.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 A Song of Ice and Fire Campaign Guide
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, Garth Greenhand.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Iron Islands.
- ↑ The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses on the Iron Islands
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, Driftwood Crowns.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, Oldtown.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, Andals in the Reach.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Conquest.
- ↑ The Sworn Sword.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 70, Tyrion X.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 59, Sansa IV.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 36, Cersei VIII.