Orkmont is one of the islands that make up the island chain called the Iron Islands. Orkmont is centrally located, with Blacktyde to the north, Harlaw to the southeast, Pyke to the south, and Old Wyk and Great Wyk to the west.
Rugged and mountainous, Orkmont is rich in ore, including iron, lead, and tin. It was once covered in forest but the timber was used extensively for shipbuilding. Orkmont is larger and richer than Pyke.
Orkmont contains the seats of House Orkwood and House Tawney. The island also has a cadet branch of House Goodbrother. The extinct houses Greyiron and Hoare, both of which once ruled the Iron Islands as iron kings, came from Orkmont.
Urras Greyiron, the salt king of Orkmont, was crowned the first driftwood king. Urron Greyiron, another salt king from Orkmont, slaughtered his rivals at the kingsmoot on Old Wyk, becoming the first hereditary iron king.
House Orkwood of Orkmont helped to overthrow House Greyiron during the coming of the Andals to the Iron Islands. During the rule of the iron kings of House Hoare, merchants and traders from Orkmont were known to call at Lannisport, Oldtown, and the Free Cities.
A Feast for Crows
Behind the Scenes
- A Feast for Crows, Map of the Iron Islands
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Iron Islands.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Iron Islands: The Black Blood.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Iron Islands: The Greyjoys of Pyke.
- A Storm of Swords, Appendix.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 18, The Iron Captain.
- The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses on the Iron Islands
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Iron Islands: Driftwood Crowns.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 11, The Kraken's Daughter.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Iron Islands: The Iron Kings.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Iron Islands: The Old Way and the New.