Oakenshield is one of the Shield Islands in the Reach. The easternmost of the four isles, it lies near the mouth of the river Mander. Lord Hewett's Town, the seat of House Hewett, is found on the island.
According to legend, Owen Oakenshield drove selkies and merlings from the Shield Islands into the sea.
Garth VII Gardener, King of the Reach, expelled the ironborn from the islands and resettled them with warriors to help defend the Mander.
King Jaehaerys I Targaryen visited all of the Shield Islands in 89 AC.
During the Dance of the Dragons, Prince Daeron Targaryen forced the submission of the Lords of the Shield Islands to the greens.
Six galleys from Oakenshield joined the fleet of Alyn Velaryon, Lord of the Tides, when he sailed to face Dalton Greyjoy, Lord of the Iron Islands.
A Feast for Crows
Oakenshield is captured by the ironborn during the taking of the Shields. After the battle, Euron Greyjoy, King of the Isles and the North, raises Nute the Barber as Lord of Oakenshield.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 29, The Reaver.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach: Garth Greenhand.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach: The Gardener Kings.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Long Reign - Jaehaerys and Alysanne: Policy, Progeny, and Pain.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Triumphant.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - The Voyage of Alyn Oakenfist.