|House Oakheart of Old Oak|
|Coat of arms||Or, three oak leaves vert|
|Words||Our Roots Go Deep|
|Current Lord||Lady Arwyn Oakheart|
|Founder||John the Oak|
Of First Men origin, the Oakhearts claim descent from John the Oak, a legendary son of Garth Greenhand. The petty kings of Old Oak joined the realm of Garth III Gardener, King of the Reach, through a pact of friendship and mutual defense.
As part of the longstanding rivalry between the Reach and Dorne, Oakhearts have fought Dornishmen extensively. Lord Edgerran Oakheart was known for fighting the Dornish, and Alester Oakheart died in the Prince's Pass while sounding his warhorn with his last breath.
During Aegon's Conquest, Lord Oakheart led King Mern IX Gardener's left at the Field of Fire. The actions of the Wyl of Wyl during the First Dornish War are still infamous at Old Oak. When Nymor Martell, Prince of Dorne, sent his daughter Deria as an envoy in 13 AC, King Aegon I Targaryen rejected Lord Oakheart's suggestion to send her to the meanest brothels of King's Landing.
A Game of Thrones
Ser Arys Oakheart serves the Iron Throne as a Kingsguard for Robert I Baratheon and his Hand of the King, Lord Eddard Stark. After Robert's death, Arys serves his son, King Joffrey I Baratheon.
A Clash of Kings
Arys objects to Joffrey when the boy king orders him to hit Sansa Stark. Although he eventually does strike Sansa, Arys does not hit the girl hard. Arys is sent to Dorne with Princess Myrcella Baratheon as her sworn shield.
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
House Oakheart at the end of the third century
The known Oakhearts during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Lady Arwyn Oakheart, Lady of Old Oak. A tiny and delicate woman.
- John the Oak, the legendary founder of the house.
- Lord Edgerran Oakheart, called the Open-Handed, a war leader against the Dornish.
- Alester Oakheart, who fought Dornishmen in the Prince's Pass.
- Ser Olyvar the Green Oak, a member of the Kingsguard who fought in Dorne alongside Daeron I Targaryen.
- Ser Gwayne Oakheart, who participated in the tourney at Ashford Meadow in 209 AC.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 6, Sansa I.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
- The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses in the Reach
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 13, The Soiled Knight.
- A Forum of Ice and Fire: General Questions
- The Citadel. House Mottoes
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach: Garth Greenhand.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach: The Gardener Kings.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reign of the Dragons: The Conquest.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Dorne: Dorne Against the Dragons.
- The Rogue Prince.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Daeron I.
- The Hedge Knight, Graphic Novel.
- The Sworn Sword.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 13, The Soiled Knight, Arys claims to have not touched a woman since joining the Kingsguard ten years ago.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 43, Eddard XI.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 57, Sansa V.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 44, Tyrion X.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 2, Sansa I.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 41, Tyrion IX.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 21, Jaime III.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 21, The Queenmaker.