|House Ashford of Ashford|
Our Sun Shines Bright
|Coat of arms||
A white sun-and-chevron on orange|
(Tenné, beneath a chevron inverted a sun-in-splendour argent)
|Title||Lord of Ashford|
House Ashford of Ashford is a noble house from Ashford in the Reach. It blazons its arms with a white sun-and-chevron on orange. According to semi-canon sources, their words are "Our Sun Shines Bright".
House Ashford held a tourney at Ashford Meadow in 209 AC. Lord Ashford's sons, Ser Androw and Ser Robert, were two of the original champions of their thirteen-year-old sister. During the tourney an altercation occurred between Ser Duncan the Tall and Prince Aerion Targaryen. This resulted in Duncan striking the prince, claiming that he was only following the knight's vows to defend the weak. Aerion demanded a trial of seven to clear his name. The tourney became the theater of the first trial of seven in more than a hundred years. During the trial King Daeron II Targaryen's son and heir, Prince Baelor, was slain by his own brother, Prince Maekar.
Lord Robert Baratheon was defeated at the Battle of Ashford during Robert's Rebellion. As bannermen of House Tyrell, House Ashford can be presumed to have remained loyal to King Aerys II Targaryen during Robert's Rebellion.
House Ashford at the end of the third century
The known Ashfords during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- No member has appeared yet.
- Ser Alyn Ashford, during the reign of King Jaehaerys I Targaryen.
- Lord Ashford, head of the family during the reign of King Daeron II Targaryen.
- Ser Androw Ashford, his eldest son and heir, a knight.
- Ser Robert Ashford, his second son, a knight.
- His daughter, short with yellow hair and a round pink face, thirteen years old at the time of the tourney.
- ↑ George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Lord Ashford.
- ↑ The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses in the Reach
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 The Hedge Knight.
- ↑ The Citadel. House Mottoes
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 19, Tyrion III.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Long Reign - Jaehaerys and Alysanne: Policy, Progeny, and Pain.