From A Wiki of Ice and Fire
|House Tarly of Horn Hill|
|Coat of arms||Vert, a huntsman striding to dexter proper garbed gules|
|Words||First in Battle|
|Current Lord||Randyll Tarly|
|Title||Lord of Horn Hill|
House Tarly of Horn Hill is a noble house of the Reach, one of the strongest sworn to House Tyrell. Horn Hill is located in the foothills of the Red Mountains. Their sigil is the striding huntsman on green. Their motto is not revealed in the books, but according to semi-canon sources it is "First in Battle". They are a family old in honor with rich lands and a strong keep. They are also the keepers of a Valyrian greatsword called Heartsbane.
During Robert's Rebellion, Lord Randyll Tarly commanded the vanguard of the Reach at the Battle of Ashford, where he killed Lord Cafferen and forced Robert Baratheon to retreat. Mace Tyrell, however, takes credit for the victory.
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
Randyll is among the lords that join their forces to Renly Baratheon's beneath Bitterbridge. Renly was at Horn Hill with Lord Tarly when he received Stannis Baratheon's letter concerning the illegitimacy of Cersei's children.
Randyll is among the lords who do not go over to Stannis after Renly's death. He captures Renly's stores at Bitterbridge and puts many men to death, mainly Florent men-at-arms, lest they go over to Stannis along with their lords. Lord Randyll is presented to the Iron Throne after the Battle of the Blackwater, where he had commanded the center of the Tyrell-Lannister host.
A Storm of Swords
After the Battle of the Fist of the First Men, Samwell slays an Other. He escapes the mutiny at Craster's Keep with Gilly, and they are among the few survivors to reach the Wall. After the Battle of Castle Black, Sam arranges for the election of Jon Snow as Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.
A Feast for Crows
Brienne of Tarth spots the badge of House Tarly among those that had been collected from the dead around Duskendale. As he is meting out justice in Maidenpool, Randyll meets Brienne. He dismisses her mission and tells her never to set foot within his sight again. Dickon Tarly is betrothed to Eleanor Mooton, the daughter of Lord William Mooton of Maidenpool.
A Dance with Dragons
Randyll returns to King's Landing upon receiving news of the arrest of Margaery Tyrell. He receives custody of her and her cousins after swearing a holy oath to return them for trial. As part of Lord Regent Kevan Lannister's efforts to assuage the men of the Reach, Lord Tarly is named Master of Laws.
House Tarly at the end of the third century
The known Tarlys during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Lord Randyll Tarly, Lord of Horn Hill. Now Master of Laws and Justiciar in Tommen I's small council.
- Ser Hyle Hunt, a household knight. Hanged by the brotherhood without banners under Lady Stoneheart's order.
- Lord Samwell Tarly, Lord of Horn Hill in the reign of King Aenys I Targaryen. Known as "Savage Sam" for his prowess in battle during the Vulture Hunt.
- When Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen toured the south in 112 AC, the son of Lord Tarly courted her.
- Lord Alan Tarly, Lord of Horn Hill during the Dance of the Dragons. Supported Rhaenyra and the blacks. Possibly the same Tarly who courted Rhaenyra in 112.
- Ser Samwyle Tarly, heir to Horn Hill at the time of the Ashford Tourney of 209 AC.
References and Notes
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Appendix.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 9, Brienne.
- ↑ The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses in the Reach
- ↑ The Citadel. Mottoes
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 26, Jon.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 The Princess and the Queen.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 The Hedge Knight.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 78, Samwell.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 45, Samwell.
- ↑ The Rogue Prince.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Minor houses in A Song of Ice and Fire.