At some point between the ending of The Hedge Knight and the start of The Sworn Sword, Dunk and Egg reached the Prince's Pass in Dorne, probably seeking Tanselle Too-Tall as hinted by the last few words of The Hedge Knight. Dunk's horse, Chestnut, died on the crossing from the Prince's Pass to Vaith. He and Egg rode double on Thunder for an unspecified period of time until one of Egg's brothers gave them Maester. Once in Vaith, Dunk met the aged Lady Cassella Vaith and spoke to her with such lack of grace as to put his own life and Egg's in danger. According to Egg, however, Lady Vaith was mad, so it is unclear if that danger could have been avoided.
A Feast for Crows
References and Notes
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Map of the South
- ↑ George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Vaith (Castle).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 21, The Queenmaker.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Andals Arrive.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Conquest.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 The Sworn Sword.
- ↑ (it is not as of yet known whether it happened before or after reaching Vaith, though both the name of the mule, and the route as described in The Sworn Sword suggests that the animal was gifted by Aemon)
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 40, Princess In The Tower.