From A Wiki of Ice and Fire
|Title|| Prince of Dorne|
|Allegiance|| House Martell|
|Died||In 283AC, at the Trident|
|Book(s)|| A Game of Thrones (Mentioned)|
A Storm of Swords (Mentioned)
A Feast for Crows (Mentioned)
A Dance with Dragons (Mentioned)
During Robert's Rebellion, Aerys used Lewyn's niece, Princess Elia Martell, as a hostage against him, and sent him to command the ten thousand Dornishmen that were to join Prince Rhaegar Targaryen's force that was assembling to take on Robert Baratheon. He died during the Battle of the Trident at the hands of Ser Lyn Corbray, although Prince Lewyn was mortally wounded before his final duel with Ser Lyn.
Dorne was incensed by the deaths of Prince Lewyn and Princess Elia during the war, and Oberyn Martell tried to raise the kingdom to support Viserys Targaryen, the surviving son of King Aerys II. In response, Jon Arryn travelled to Sunspear the year after Robert took the throne (284AC) to return the bones of Prince Lewyn and was able to broker a peace with Doran Martell.
It was a closely held secret that Prince Lewyn kept a paramour despite the Kingsguard oaths of chastity. Ser Barristan Selmy and his other sworn brothers were aware of this but kept their sworn brother's secret.
|“||I never had the honor to know Prince Lewyn but all agree that he was a great knight.||”|
|“||It is the sword in a man's hand that determines his worth, not the one between his legs.||”|
References and Notes
- ↑ The Kingsguard. (May 22, 1999) So Spake Martin
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 37, Jaime.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 23, Alayne.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 38, Tyrion.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 13, The Soiled Knight.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 59, The Discarded Knight (Barristan II).
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 13, The Soiled Knight, p 239.