Ser Meryn Trant - © Fantasy Flight Games.
|Allegiance|| House Trant|
|Book(s)|| A Game of Thrones (appears)|
A Clash of Kings (appears)
A Storm of Swords (appears)
A Feast for Crows (appears)
A Dance with Dragons (appears)
|Played by||Ian Beattie|
|TV series||Season 1 | Season 2 | Season 3 | Season 4 | Season 5|
Appearance and Character
- See also: Images of Meryn Trant
Meryn has droopy eyes and a red beard. As a Kingsguard knight, his armor consists of a shirt of enameled scales chased with gold, a tall helm with a golden sunburst crest, greaves and gorget and gauntlets and boots of gleaming plate, a heavy wool cloak clasped with a golden lion.
A Game of Thrones
Meryn is sent to apprehend Arya Stark when Eddard is arrested, but is prevented from doing so by Syrio Forel. King Joffrey I Baratheon uses him to beat Sansa Stark into obedience. He is present in the throne room when Ser Barristan Selmy is dismissed, and laughs at his former sworn brother's shame.
A Clash of Kings
Ser Meryn rides in the joust during the tourney on King Joffrey's name day. There he breaks two lances with Ser Hobber Redwyne, unhorsing him on the second pass. Meryn survives the riot of King's Landing, when the royal procession is attacked on its return to the Red Keep after seeing Princess Myrcella Baratheon off to Dorne.
A Storm of Swords
Ser Meryn is ordered by Queen Cersei Lannister to bring Sansa Stark to the sept to marry Tyrion Lannister. He is later encountered guarding the Red Keep by Ser Jaime Lannister, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, during the latter's return to King's Landing, and Meryn is criticised for failing to protect two monarchs in Jaime's absence.
During the trial of Tyrion for the death of King Joffrey, Ser Meryn recounts the story of Tyrion beating Joffrey after the riot and tells the judges of other episodes when Tyrion threatened the life of the king.
Jaime berates Meryn for his willingness to beat Sansa on Joffrey's orders, pointing out that nowhere in the White Book do the Kingsguard swear to beat women and children. When Meryn protests that the Kingsguard are sworn to obey, Jaime counters that their first role is to protect the king, which includes protecting the monarch from themselves, and that he expects the knight to use common sense when his king gives him a questionable command.
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons
Quotes by Meryn
– Sansa Stark to Meryn
Quotes about Meryn
– Syrio Forel to Meryn
He did not hate her, Sansa realized; neither did he love her. He felt nothing for her at all. She was only a ... a thing to him.
– thoughts of Sansa Stark
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 8, Bran II.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 67, Sansa VI.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 67, Jaime VIII.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 30, Eddard VII.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 29, Sansa II.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 50, Arya IV.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 57, Sansa V.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 2, Sansa I.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 41, Tyrion IX.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 57, Sansa V.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 65, Sansa VIII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 60, Tyrion VIII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 62, Jaime VII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 66, Tyrion IX.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 3, Cersei I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 65, Cersei II.
- A Dance with Dragons, Epilogue.