Lions inhabited the western hills of Westeros. In antiquity, lions made dens in Casterly Rock itself and some were owned by the Kings of the Rock. According to a semi-canon source, some of King Loreon I Lannister's lions broke free and slew three of his sons, some say as a curse from Morgon Banefort.
Wild lions were seen during the reign of Lord Tytos Lannister, as the first knight of House Clegane saved Tytos from a lioness and lost a leg and three dogs in the effort. Cersei Lannister recalls several caged lions kept in the bowels of Casterly Rock during her childhood, a legacy of her grandfather Tytos's time.
A Game of Thrones
A Dance with Dragons
In 300 AC, Leaf tells Bran Stark the great lions of the western hills have been slain. According to a semi-canon source, a few lions survive in the outlying hills of the westerlands, but they have been hunted down for the most part.
- ↑ The Citadel: Heraldry
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Coming of the First Men.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 So Spake Martin: US Signing Tour (San Francisco, CA), November 17, 2005
- ↑ georgerrmartin.com: WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE SAMPLE
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 62, Tyrion VIII.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 65, Cersei II.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 1, Bran I.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 34, Bran III.