From A Wiki of Ice and Fire
|House Reyne of Castamere|
|Coat of arms||Argent, a lion rampant regardant queue fourché gules, armed and langued or|
|Cadet Branch||House Vikary possibly|
|Died out||+/- 260AC|
House Reyne of Castamere was a noble house from Castamere in the Westerlands. It was once the richest and most powerful Westerland house after the Lannisters. According to semi-canon sources they blazoned their arms with a red lion rampant regardant with a forked tail, armed and langued gold, on silver.
The lord of House Reyne during the rule of Lord Tytos Lannister was dubbed the "Red Lion of Castamere". When the match of Genna Lannister and Emmon Frey was announced, the Red Lion angrily left the hall at Casterly Rock. Later during the rule of Tytos, Lord Reyne rebelled against his overlord along with the Tarbecks of Tarbeck Hall. Lord Reyne was an experienced warrior while Lord Tytos was rather weak, so it appeared that their rebellion could be successful. In the end Tytos's young son and heir, Tywin Lannister, held the command of the Lannister army. Tywin besieged the castles and destroyed the rebels. After the rebellion the seats of the rebels were brought down and both houses were exterminated. It is not known if the rebels died in acts of war or that they were executed.
- Ser Robb Reyne, a knight during the Dance of Dragons.
- Lord Roger Reyne, known as "the Red Lion of Castamere", the last Lord Reyne.
"The Rains of Castamere"
The song "The Rains of Castamere" was made about the rebellion after its end. The refrain goes:
- And who are you, the proud lord said,
- that I must bow so low?
- Only a cat of a different coat,
- that's all the truth I know.
- In a coat of gold or a coat of red,
- a lion still has claws,
- And mine are long and sharp, my lord,
- as long and sharp as yours.
- And so he spoke, and so he spoke,
- that lord of Castamere,
- But now the rains weep o'er his hall,
- with no one there to hear.
- Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
- and not a soul to hear.
Behind the Scenes
- The sigil of House Reyne is a reversed color scheme of the coat of arms of Simon de Montfort. De Montfort rebelled against the ineffectual King Henry III of England. He held power for a short time until he was killed in battle by Henry's heir, Prince Edward I "Longshanks". The latter may be a possible inspiration for Tywin Lannister.
References and Notes