From A Wiki of Ice and Fire
|House Reyne of Castamere|
|Coat of arms||Argent, a lion rampant regardant gules, tail nowed, armed and langued or|
|Cadet Branch||House Vikary possibly|
|Died out||+/- 260AL|
House Reyne of Castamere was a noble house from the Westerlands. It was once the richest and most powerful Westerland house after the Lannisters. According to semi-canon sources they blazoned their arms with a red lion rampant regardant with a forked tail, armed and langued gold, on silver.
During the reign of Tytos Lannister the Lord of House Reyne rebelled against his overlord along with the Tarbecks of Tarbeck Hall. The Lord of House Reyne was an experienced warrior while Lord Tytos was rather weak so it appeared that their rebellion could be successful. In the end Tytos's young son and heir Tywin Lannister held the command of the Lannister army. Tywin besieged the castles and destroyed the rebels. After the rebellion the seats of the rebels were brought down and both houses were completely exterminated.
It is not known if the rebels died in acts of war or that they were executed.
The Rains of Castamere
After the end of the rebellion the song The Rains of Castamere was made about the rebellion. The refrain goes:
- And who are you, the proud lord said,
- that I must bow so low?
- Only a cat of a different coat,
- that's all the truth I know.
- In a coat of gold or a coat of red,
- a lion still has claws,
- And mine are long and sharp, my lord,
- as long and sharp as yours.
- And so he spoke, and so he spoke,
- that lord of Castamere,
- But now the rains weep o'er his hall,
- with no one there to hear.
- Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
- and not a soul to hear.
References in the books
Dunk and Egg
A Song of Ice and Fire
- The rebel lord of House Reyne was dubbed the Red Lion of Castamere.
- Lord Tywin Lannister destroyed every trace of the house when he was still fairly young.
- The song The Rains of Castamere describes the destruction of the house.
- When the match of Genna Lannister and Emmon Frey was announced, the Red Lion, presumably the head of House Reyne, left the hall angry.
References in real life
- The Sigil of House Reyne is a reversed color scheme of the Coat of Arms of Simon de Montfort. De Montfort rebelled against the ineffectual English King Henry III. He held power for a short time until he was killed in battle by Henry's heir Prince Edward I "Longshanks". The latter may be a possible inspiration for Tywin Lannister.
References and Notes